RI, mange and possible FLD - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default RI, mange and possible FLD

Hi guys this might be my first post but I have been lurking in this forum since January before I got my hedgehog, Mr Prickle Hoggleton. Sorry this will be a very long post so please bear with me.

Firstly I live in a tropical humid climate, temperatures at 28-32℃. I got my Prickle in February at about 3-4 months old and he was quilling a lot and having dry skin. He was a small one with a lean body. I used fleece liners, complete with fleece snuggle bag and fleece strips for him. I also bought an 11" bucket wheel for him. He has a water bowl and a food bowl which I replace everyday. He drinks lots of water and loves his cat kibbles and daily treats of Dubia, mealworms or superworms or even unseasoned boiled chicken. He was fine and healthy. Two weeks later I then realize that his kibbles have too much protein (40%) so I had to change. I now used Blue Buffalo freedom(32% protein) for adult cats. He loves that as well, I think he just like chicken. His skin was getting dry and flaky too.

Until beginning of April, he starts to leave more kibbles in his food bowl. I got worried and went to a vet known for exotics to get him a checkup for mites and teeth issues. The vet examine his mouth and teeth, it was all good. As for dry skin, she said unlikely to be mites since there should be a lot more scratching and loss of quills if it were a mite issue. She gave me omega 3 for his skin.

Then late April my house was undergoing toilets renovation and I notice the drilling was really loud(toilets not in my room). I decided to take him to a friend's place to stay for 10 days, gave my friend basic care instructions and told her not to let her dog near Prickle and let me go see him on the 5th day to give him his omega 3 treatment. She said sure, 5 days passed, she said sorry you can't come to my house. I told her that Prickle needs the treatment, she replied nonchalantly that I can do that after 10 days, it's only a few days more. I got VERY PISSED and requested to have him back immediately.

So Prickle is back with me, the drilling of my house toilets has stopped. He used to weigh 260g consistently and now he weights 225g(I panicked). I got really upset with my friend who I no longer talk to. His sides used to be | | but now it's ) (. I immediately gave him more fatty insects to fatten him up, got him up to 260g again but he is still ) (. But other than that, he is active and well.

The month of May came, now it's time for full house renovations. I moved to a rented room. The house owners have two adult golden retrievers and I told him the dogs are not allowed in my room, he said they won't go inside. After two weeks, Prickle developed RI(I panicked). I took him to the same vet, got antibiotics and medicine for reducing his mucus amount. Again check his teeth, feet and skin. The vet also prescribed revolution for scabies. I took him home and gave him the medicine properly with some difficulties. After two days, his eyes got swollen(I panicked) and could not open his eyes without me wiping his eyes with moist cotton buds. He also stop eating and drinking and wheeling. I texted the vet and sent her pictures. She said could be allergies to the medicine. I brought him back the next day.

She took a closer look and said doesn't look like allergies, more like eye irritation but just in case, she got me medicine for his swollen eyes and also told me to wipe daily with saline solution. She also gave me Lactulose medicine just in case it's liver disease since he eat very little kibble and lethargic nowadays. She said a blood test is needed for 100% confirmation for FLD but since he's underweight and all so it might have complications. I took him home and syringe fed him with medicine and some water. I bought Wellness wet cat food for him, he ate a little bit and still enjoys his insects. The next two mornings, I saw that he starts to wheel again because of the poop and urine in his wheel but did not notice any significant difference in his water and food bowl. It could be because I already fed him with water and food already earlier in the evening.

So now his eyes have gotten better, he could open them without me moisturizing them. His sneezing has stopped completely, no more bubbling snot, still has a bit of stuffy nose. Has no weird colour in his urine. Has greenish poop(due to antibiotics?). It's only that his appetite is not that great. I'm still worried that he has gotten FLD and that he's so skinny. I panicked easily and get paranoid and the worst possible outcome plays in my mind. Could it really be possible that he has FLD?
zevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear you've been through a lot with your boy >.< but sounds like you've been managing things well and getting his health back up

Re the lack of appetite, I'm not sure if you're able to access any in your country but there are two brands that do a nutrient packed wet cat food for sick animals and to help boost appetite. One is Carnivore Care and the other is Hills A/D. A vet office should have them or perhaps search on the Internet. It is meant for syringe feeding, which I also recommend you syringe feed him food if he isn't eating well on his own. i believe they need to eat approx 20-24ml per a day to stay healthy. If they go for more than 24hrs without eating or very little, they can develop fatty liver disease quick quickly and their bodies basically go into shutdown mode. A sign of FLD is yellow tint on their skin, especially under their armpits and on their tummy, they'll be others too that I'm sure you can do a search for symptoms/signs. I don't have any experience with this, it's just information I've read before. If you need help with syringe feeding there's a really good tutorial post on here.

Re the green poop. If you're able to, it's a good idea to use a probiotic whilst on antibiotics or introducing new foods to help settle their stomsch and increase/restore good bacteria in their gut, which antibiotics destroy when killing the bad bacteria/infection. You need to give the probiotic at least 2 hrs after the antibiotic though, for it to have any effect. Just sprinkle a pinch or two on his food / the wet food if you're able to get it. The probiotic i use is Benebac for small animals, I got some on Amazon, if you can't get that, you can use acidophilus, although I've never used this myself. Glad to here his eyes are better. Make sure when cleaning eyes to always use a sterile swab for each eye and for each wipe, so not rewiping with the same swab, as this can spread the infection. Hope he gets better soon. Keep us posted

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 06-15-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it. I will check out the wet food meant for syringe feeding and probotics.

The skin around his eyes are still crusty swollen with some pus and dried blood, I wonder if he injured himself because his eyes felt uncomfortable. I clean his eyes every morning when I wake up and every night, 2 times a day.

Regarding his loss of appetite, I bought some medium sized wax worms for him. He ate a few and became disinterested after the third one. Fed him 6 medium Dubia nymphs and a few mealworms and he didn't want to eat anymore, which is weird. He used to love mealworms to a point where he will eat every mealworm he can get, no matter how many it is. But at least he still eat his insects. I weigh him daily and it has been 255-265g consistently but his body shape is ) (. I also notice that he didn't drink water last night so I syringe feed him about 15ml of water at two separate timing. He is still using his wheel though.

He still makes this little stuffy nose sounds but no sneezing. He has no yellow tint on his skin though or green urine. However he has sticky poop with a little green tint due to antibiotics?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Little update. He ate his kibbles last night! I'm not sure how much but I saw bits and pieces of kibbles in his bowl. I don't think he drank water from his water bowl. He did some wheeling. His poop on the wheel is thin and sticky.

I saw him scratching his eye with his back paw when I took him out for his daily treats and medicine. I think I finally figured out. The swelling and bleeding of his eyes is due to him scratching. Something must have irritate his eyes and he made it worst by scratching. I don't know how to make him stop or prevent him from doing that.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

No worries
Yes it sounds likely he is scratching at his eyes with his poopy feet which are then reinfecting them I imagine. Try keep his feet as clean as possible. But if he is recovering from a potential URI you shouldnt put him in water/give him a bath. Perhaps just wiping his feet with a damp cloth and making sure he is fully dry before putting him back in his cage. So do it when you first get him out then let him dry whilst you bond on your lap with a blanket etc.

So he is still on the antibiotics, how long is his treatment and how long has he been taken them? Are his eye infections getting better since starting the antibiotics? Definitely try get some benebac probiotic it should help settle his stomach from the strong antibiotics.

Re his weight, sounds like he definitely needs to put on some weight. My boy was a similar weight when he was around 6 months old and was a runner hog so was hard to keep it on. What is the fat % of his new cat food? I found feeding wax worms about 4x a week (about 2 or 3 a night) as well as x2 superworms every night helped my boy gain weight. He's now a little chubby thing lol weighing approx 475g! Other insects are also good but these are two of the fattiest. I feed live ones so gut loaded the superworms (morio worms) first.

Also how quickly did you take him off his previous cat food? Did his food intake lower after the switch? If you changed the food over too fast this can cause them to food strike. It needs to be done very slowly. My boy also lost weight when I switched his food as I did it too quickly. He now loves it but he will only eat it pre-soaked and mushed. I think this could be a separate mouth issue though :/

I'm glad he ate more kibble last night! Also, you could try putting his food bowl in his hide area during the day to encourage eating during the day. I do this as my boy hates coming out in the daylight and this also helped him gain the extra weight (the portion he probably didn't need to gain tbh!) >< lol

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 06-16-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukidama's mama View Post
So he is still on the antibiotics, how long is his treatment and how long has he been taken them? Are his eye infections getting better since starting the antibiotics? Definitely try get some benebac probiotic it should help settle his stomach from the strong antibiotics.

Re his weight, sounds like he definitely needs to put on some weight. My boy was a similar weight when he was around 6 months old and was a runner hog so was hard to keep it on. What is the fat % of his new cat food? I found feeding wax worms about 4x a week (about 2 or 3 a night) as well as x2 superworms every night helped my boy gain weight. He's now a little chubby thing lol weighing approx 475g! Other insects are also good but these are two of the fattiest. I feed live ones so gut loaded the superworms (morio worms) first.

Also how quickly did you take him off his previous cat food? Did his food intake lower after the switch? If you changed the food over too fast this can cause them to food strike. It needs to be done very slowly. My boy also lost weight when I switched his food as I did it too quickly. He now loves it but he will only eat it pre-soaked and mushed. I think this could be a separate mouth issue though &#x1f615;

I'm glad he ate more kibble last night! Also, you could try putting his food bowl in his hide area during the day to encourage eating during the day. I do this as my boy hates coming out in the daylight and this also helped him gain the extra weight (the portion he probably didn't need to gain tbh!) >< lol
I will try getting the probotics this weekend.

The vet gave him antibiotics to be taken for a week and some sort medicine for his mucus to be taken for two weeks. Tomorrow will be exactly one week. His eye infections doesn't seem to be getting better or worst. I have a vet appointment next week to review his recovery process.

His Blue Buffalo cat kibbles have 14% fat content. It's the Blue Buffalo freedom grain free for indoor adult cats. He did eat a little less after the switch but I just gave him a little more gutloaded superworms. Should I bring him his old food? For now, he's not very keen on wax worms unless I keep shoving them in his face multiple times. I have his teeth checked twice, I'm sure it wasn't a mouth/teeth problem.

Ya I saw pieces of kibbles and I was really glad even if it's not much. Alright I will try putting his food bowl near his sleeping spot. He used to sleep in his fleece sleeping bag but now he sleeps underneath it.

He's my first hedgehog and I got it from someone who turn out to be quite shady. He disappeared after I confronted him about the gender (I wanted a female, he gave me a male and I didn't check). Hedgehogs are not common here so I got it from the first seller I found. Regardless of the gender, he's like family to me now.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quick update. His eyes are healing! It's not as swollen as before and it's just a little puffy now, with a little bruise. He doesn't seem to have a stuffy nose, doesn't sneeze at all and no constant licking of his nose. So his RI is gone! Still has green poop, but not as thin now. I'm getting the probotics in a few days. He also wheeled last night.

But his appetite is not there yet, not eating his kibbles and drinking water either. Could it be I fed him with too many Dubia and mealworms last night? I gave him a few mealworms, a dozen Dubia nymphs and 7 wax worms. And he still looks skinny now after all that, weighing 255g. I also syringe fed him 10ml of water last night, that's why he's not drinking on his own yet?
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

That's good to hear, glad his eyes are healing and URI is better

Re eating, can you syringe feed his cat kibble? Add water to it and mash up and make it liquid enough to feed through the syringe. He needs to eat more than just insects.
You can also try meats, like boiled chicken (unseasoned) or boiled/scrabbled egg (unseasoned). We're you able to get that emergency cat wet food for sick animals I previously suggested? Most people find it really helps boost heir hedgehogs appetites again.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukidama's mama View Post
That's good to hear, glad his eyes are healing and URI is better [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon1.gif[/IMG]

Re eating, can you syringe feed his cat kibble? Add water to it and mash up and make it liquid enough to feed through the syringe. He needs to eat more than just insects.
You can also try meats, like boiled chicken (unseasoned) or boiled/scrabbled egg (unseasoned). We're you able to get that emergency cat wet food for sick animals I previously suggested? Most people find it really helps boost heir hedgehogs appetites again.
I will try soupy cat kibbles to syringe feed to him. I will also try boiled chicken, I used to give him some and he absolutely love it. I found out where to get Carnivore Care, getting it asap.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Update. His right eye is like 90% healed, the lower skin of his eye just looks a little red now. The upper skin area of left eye is still a little sore, but it should be fine soon. His antibiotics has run out.

As I said earlier, his RI is completely gone but I don't know if I should continue his medicine for dripping mucus?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in