Weird nose whistle snuffle and nose licking? URI? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Weird nose whistle snuffle and nose licking? URI?

Hello all!

I'm brand spanking new to the hedgehog world (as in just got 5 week old baby Monty on 3 days ago) so I have lots of new mom anxiety!

I've had Monty for a very short time (see above) but I noticed that she makes this weird snuffling sound like she's trying to blow something out of her nose and she licks her nose a lot. From what I've found she might have an URI and I'm waiting to get into the vet later this week but I thought maybe I should post on here and see if anyone had a similar situation and might be able to quell some of my worries!

So let me describe little Monty's issues in greater detail. The first day there seemed to be no problem with her at all, she was very excited and very active. The second day was much the same but now I can hear her making that strange noise like she's trying to get out something that is stuck in her nose. She has also been licking her nose very frequently and I saw a clear snot bubble come out her nose but none sense then.

Here's the kicker though. She only does this when she's first woken up for like 10-15 minutes. After that, she's totally fine and crazy active. The moment she lays down, it stops as well.

Here's some additional information:
She's been making this weird mouth noise like a human might make if their mouth is dry.
She's been eating and drinking a lot.
Her poops are totally normal.
When we got her from the breeder she lived in what I believe was pine bedding but now we've given her fleece bedding.
She also had some scabby orange/red bits but those cleared up within a day especially after a bath (probably from quilling).

I hope the vet will have answers for us but for now I'm hoping you guys will know something.

Does it have to be a URI or could it be a cold or something? Also sorry this is such a long post I'm just hoping little Monty is alright.
MontgomeryMongomery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 05:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello and welcome

It does sound like the start of a URI possibly. What is the temp of her cage and do you have a heat setup in her enclosure?
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hello and welcome

It does sound like the start of a URI possibly. What is the temp of her cage and do you have a heat setup in her enclosure?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

When we first got her the house had been at 68 but have since turned the house up to 70 and gotten her a space heater to keep her area at 74 but she just keeps sneezing!

On the bright side we got her into the vet who said that due to the fact that her mucus is clear and she has no other health problems she has no reason to suspect that she is sick but that we should keep an eye on her to see if anything arises.
MontgomeryMongomery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry Im not that familiar with Fahrenheit but I know 68F is too low and even 70 is too. I'm pretty sure 74 is the lower end too and some hedgies, especially young ones like it on the warmer side. I think you need to aim for 76-78 but please double check this. Also just because the house temp is that temp it doesn't neccessarily mean her cage will read the same, especially if it's lower to the floor it will be even colder. Do you have a thermometer probe in her cage? If not I'd highly recommend you get one so you can monitor the temp of her cage more accurately. They are cheap to buy off amazon and you'll find them in the reptile section.

Back in the winter when we had a particular cold day and I had typically been out all day so the apartment was cold, my hedgies cage temp dropped to 21.7 even though he has a CHE. This was a one off time but it is below the recommended 23.5-26.5C. I checked on him as soon as I saw the temp and he had a blob of clear mucus run out of his nose. I'm pretty sure the night before he had a footbath and dunked his head as well so this probably didn't help. But anyways we called the vet and they prescribed us antibiotics as he had a runny nose the following night too. He also only had it when he'd first wake up too like your girl.

I'm surprised the vet didn't treat your hedgie. You really don't want to let it go untreated if there is an infection and let it get worse (this is when the mucous will turn green etc) and it is more serious and hard to get read of and quite quickly can develop into pneumonia, which can be fatal. I'm not trying to scare you but definitely monitor her very closely, a clear runny nose or clear mucus can be he first sign of the start of URI. If the mucous continues I'd be taken her back in or going to see a different vet if it was me. They are not like humans and cannot recover from an infection without medication.

The only other thing that could be irritating her nose is the bedding or any house dust. What do you wash her fleece bedding with? I did find my boy used to sneeze quite a lot when I first got him (he had no mucous coming out of his nose though). I washed his fleece with non-perfumed detergent for sensitive skin but found it still had a slight perfume smell to it ><. I started hand washing the fleece with the detergent but then put it through the washing machine on a rinse only and adding white distilled vinegar (this helps get rid of any left over detergent on the fabric and also helps with odour control) and I found this reduced his sneezing. So perhaps you could try this and see if her sneezing reduces. If it's allergies to house dust/pollen then you could try a room air purifier. If anything, bump up her cage temp and hopefully that'll help. Also I wouldn't be giving her any baths until she stops sneezing as this could make it worse if she does have the start of a URI. I hope she improves soon ♡
nikki and Quillys_Mom_Punky like this.

Tags
sick, sneezing, uri, wheezing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in