URI or Allergies? - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default URI or Allergies?

I noticed both of my hedgies started sneezing yesterday. One significantly more than the other. Their noses seem to be runny, but itís been clear from what Iíve noticed. Other than that, they both continue to have a healthy appetite, both drink plenty water, and both have been pooping/peeing as usual.

I am looking for a vet, but no luck so far because where Iím at, many places are closed until after the New Year.

Hereís some background info:
My poor kiddos have been through a lot this month. We moved from Texas to Europe 2 weeks ago, and have been traveling around quite a bit since. Itís winter here but weíve been doing our best to keep them warm. Unfortunately, we donít get to move in to our new place until mid January so the hedgies have been under a lot of stress and environmental changes. They havenít lost their appetites or changed their usual behavior. Despite all the traveling, they are always kept separated and each has their own stuff. They both seem to have started showing respiratory issues at the same time, but weíve been at our current location for over a week. Could they be allergic to the Christmas tree? Or has the change in climate finally caught up?

Taking them to a vet wonít be an issue after the 1st since everything will be open again, but I really donít want to wait that long if theyíre likely to have an URI.
Trollzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

It's most likely a URI and they should be seen by a vet. The stress of all the moving and travelling, combined with the unsteady temperatures probably weakened their immune ya bit.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was finally able to get them to the vet. He gave them an antibiotic injection and several doses to give them orally at home for the next 5-6 days. I looked up the antibiotic and it has enrofloxacinum 100mg/1ml. From what I read, itís the same drug that is used in Baytril. He said to bring them back if things donít improve, but he didnít seem too concerned about things being serious yet.

Any tips on how to make the medicine feeding as smooth as possible for me and the hedgies?

Please keep these 2 in your thoughts/prayers, as we have a few weeks left before we get our permanent housing set up and a we have a couple more temporary moves until then.

Also, I apologize for asking questions that Iím sure have been asked already, but the only access to the internet I have right now is through my phone and regardless of which browser I use, Iím having a hard time viewing threads on here.
Trollzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in