smoking weed around my hedgie? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By shinydistraction
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2017, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default smoking weed around my hedgie?

I was wondering if smoking weed around my hedgehog is bad for it? We smoke out of bongs with hemp wick so there shouldn't be many respiratory contaminants in the smoke but I recognize that it's still smoke and could cause respiratory infections...
We of course don't intentionally try to get the hedgehog high or anything but sometimes we hit the bong while she's relaxing on our lap and exhale the smoke away from her. We always have a fan going or window open so the smoke diffuses quickly, it's not a smoke filled room or hotbox by any means... Thoughts? What about smoking in the room while she's in her cage?

Her behavior doesn't change, do you think we may be accidentally getting her high?
The smoking honestly doesn't seem to bother her she doesn't seem to notice it at all, also if the bong is on my lap she hasn't been shy about approaching it and smelling.. Is this any worse than having candles burning or by a fire and her breathing in those fumes?

**not a thread on whether or not people should smoke weed so save it just want to make sure I'm not hurting my hedgie
cp73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't do that because hedgies are fairly new to the "pet world," so not enough is known about them to tell how this would affect them. I would assume that it is bad because having smaller respiratory systems than us makes it harder to filter out anything that might be in the air
Midgetninja18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also I've heard of hedgies getting nasty respiratory infections just from accidentally holding their nose underwater or getting it wet. If just water is enough to cause problems, then I think weed would cause even more serious issues in the long run
Midgetninja18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would treat it like smoking cigarettes. The polite thing to do with people is to ask if it's ok before you start. Any activity that's producing smoke (in particular when there is an odor, but even if not) where all parties affected are unable to consent or able to leave should probably be avoided. This includes animals.

I'll be honest with you, in general, we don't even recommend lighting candles in the same room with a hedgehog. Although I think that depends more on the wick and any fragrance the candle might have. And a fire place would depend on what's being burned. For example, cedar has been known to cause respiratory issues in hedgehogs, so if cedar is what is being burned...the same can be said for untreated pine too.

Honestly, I doubt there's been much in the way of study on the effects of marijuana smoke on animals in general, forget about hedgehogs. There's too much we don't know. The only we thing we do know is that it's not good for anyone to inhale smoke in large quantities, and that is relative to who we're talking about.

To sum up, I wouldn't. Your hog is interested because it's an interesting smell, and they LOVE interesting smells, but his health should be priority. I'm glad you thought to ask! It means you care
nikki, Lilysmommy, AnnaLK and 1 others like this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2017, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Candle smoke is actually not great for animals either. Same with a fireplace. It's not really recommended to have smoke in general around animals, regardless of what the smoke is from. The level of concern varies depending on the animals, such as any smoke being extremely dangerous for birds & reptiles, but it's not healthy for any animal. Smoking should be done in a room where the animals are not located & the room aired out before the animal comes into it.
nikki and ArizonaHazelnut like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in