Chronic nasal infections, lung abscess or tumor.. anyone ever have a hedgie with lung - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wushu1987

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chronic nasal infections, lung abscess or tumor.. anyone ever have a hedgie with lung

Hello everyone,

This may be a long post.

So my Chloe has had chronic nasal infections since I got her. She would get nasal discharge which was usually worse in one nostril and sneezing. She has been to the vet multiple times for antibiotics. The antibiotics always seems to clear it up for a few months and then it comes back. Even with the nasal discharge she would continue to eat and drink and be active. Last Friday we took her into the vet to do X-rays and a culture. The X-ray showed some haziness and a mass in her left lung. The doctor is hoping it is an abscess and not a tumor. She was put on two antibiotics this time. One of them is much stronger and she will be on them for a month and then we will recheck. And of course depending on the culture we may end up changing antibiotics again.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had anything similar happen to their hedgie? I know tumors are common and I'm hoping that is not the case.

When I got her I was told she was 2 years old. However I don't know how reliable that information was. I've had her a year and half so she's at least 3.5 years. She use to be a breeder so I don't know what kind of conditions she was in before I got her.

I'm hoping that if anything this post might help others that have a hedgie with chronic respiratory problems. I'm so glad we got an X-ray so we can try and figure this out.
wushu1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

What bedding is she on?
Matvei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

She has fleece bedding. Got culture results back and she has a resistant strain of pseudomonas. She is now on amikacin which cannot be given by mouth so we are trying nebulizer treatments.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Poor girl! I'm glad she's with a good home that's making sure she gets what she needs to be healthy! I hope the treatments work and she feels better soon.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you lily! I hope they work too. She is definitely the princess of the house

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in