Possibly sick? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheosMommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possibly sick?

My hedgehog has had a drippy nose the last few days, (when I wake her up there's normally a drip of snot on her nose) today when she was breathing she started blowing bubbles from it, it's clear though. Also, today she hasn't moved much. She really doesn't want to come out of a ball and she isn't huffing at all (she hasn't been huffing much for the last few days) I don't think it's hibernation because she has her front legs out/head out and her belly seems warm. My sister said her back foot looked funny but I couldn't see anything and now she won't unroll enough for me to look at it.. I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow morning, but I was just wondering if anyone knows what it could be?
TheosMommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Uri.
Matvei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

It is probably an upper respiratory infection and will require antibiotics to treat it. What is the temperature in her cage? They often need the temperature bumps a degree or two when they're sick. Is she still eating normally and pooping normally? Is she running on her wheel still?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
It is probably an upper respiratory infection and will require antibiotics to treat it. What is the temperature in her cage? They often need the temperature bumps a degree or two when they're sick. Is she still eating normally and pooping normally? Is she running on her wheel still?
her temp in her cage is 78, i can bump it up a bit if you think I should. She seems to be eating okay, I gave her some carrot baby food tonight and she ate it and annoited. But still didn't act like herself. I cleaned out her cage this morning without thinking to check for poops, but there was some in there. I'll check again in the morning. And she ran on her wheel a bit last night, but it seemed shorter than normal. I just put her back in her cage from cuddling, so I'm waiting to see if she will run on her wheel. I still plan on taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. If she does need antibiotics to treat it, do you know what they usually give so I can make sure she's getting the safe and correct medicine?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

There are a few different ones they can use. Baytril is one I have used in the past for URI's.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
There are a few different ones they can use. Baytril is one I have used in the past for URI's.
I took her in today, the only vet on (the other vet is on vacation) doesn't treat hedgehog frequently, but said she'd look and see. She said she definitely seemed like she had a URI (runny nose, a bit lethargic (until my baby bit her... oops), and sneezing) and she gave me baytril. Hoping my baby starts feeling better soon! Thank you for all your help
nikki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in