Sick hedgehog, advice needed - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sick hedgehog, advice needed

Hi, I'm new to the forum. To preface, my hedgehog is nearing 5 yrs old, I know i could just be experiencing old age. However, hes been incredibly healthy and issue free since birth. I took him to the vet on Thursday because I took him out to bathe him and trim his nails and he was very lethargic. There was some crusty discharge around his nose. He hadn't eaten much the 2 days prior, but usually when he doesn't eat it means he wants his cage cleaned or a new kind of food etc. Vet diagnosed him with a respiratory infection, gave us baytril and told me to call in a couple days with an update. Its saturday, and there isnt much change. I'm keeping him in an 80 degree room with a humidifier. I also made a nebulizer for him. I've been syringe feeding him the liquid in canned cat food. Hes drinking on his own. Not pooping but is urinating. Hes spending most of his time sleeping in a ball, breathing rapidly. His weight was great on Thursday. Any advice? I tried calling the vet I saw and several other emergency clinics in the area, none have exotic vets in this weekend. I am panicked because I am having surgery on Monday on my face and wont be able to do much else for him
mobbinmoby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Is he eating at all? If he's not then you need to start syringe feeding him asap. Hedgehogs have a bad habit of not eating when they don't feel good. Unfortunately the longer they don't eat the less hungry they feel. If they don't eat for a few days then other issues can happen, like fatty liver disease. You can syringe feed him soft pate style cat food that is mixed with water, meat baby food or you can get some carnivore care or Hills A/D from the vet. Please start feeding him right away.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

he isnt eating on his own but he is drinking on his own. i have been syringing the liquid out of wet cat food and feeding it to him for calories
mobbinmoby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

He needs more than the liquids from the cat food he needs the food itself. You need to be feeding him 24-30 mls of food a day.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in