Hedgehog licking and squeaking? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog licking and squeaking?

I just got my hedgehog a few days ago and I LOVE HER SO SO SO MUCH! I am of course a paranoid hedgehog mother I feel like. She has been eating and drinking a lot of water and she was really active. However, last night, she started acting different. She still ate and drank, but instead of running on the wheel like she has been doing the past few nights, she went back to bed and did not want to play. She also stared licking her nose or maybe the air, it is really strange, and she sneezed twice. She hasn't sneezed again but she makes a weird squeaking and chirping noise when she is smelling something...could she be sick, or am I being a crazy parent? Her cage is heated too. So in summary, she just started to lick her nose and air and she makes a strong squeaking or chirping noise when she is smelling, should I be concerned and take her to the vet?
LivingwithLulu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

My 6 week old Poppy licks her nose and the air too. Your hedgie may just be annointing. Poppy has made some sneezing like noises but I am pretty sure she was just huffing. If the strange behavior continues or your hedgie stops eating, I would take her to the vet just to be safe. Good luck with your new baby! P.s. I can totally relate to you when you say you are paranoid and freak out over nothing!!!
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Are there any new scents in the room? A lot of smelly things can enter the house around the holiday season - candles, pine-scented objects, incense, etc. A strong new smell could set off the reaction you saw. If you can't think of anything, keep a close eye on her. If the behavior continues and/or if she continues to not run on her wheel for another night, I would personally advise getting her into the vet before the weekend. Most vets will be closed for Christmas & if she's developing a URI, you don't want it to get much worse over the weekend when you can't get her looked at.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
chirping, help me, licking, sick hedegehog, worried

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in