New hog, very ill - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hog, very ill

Hello,

We adopted an African Pygmy hedgehog yesterday; he's 1 year old, lived with previous owners 6 months, they took him in for a friend and didn't have time for him, said he was healthy, just wanted a 'loving home' for him etc.

Immediately after opening his viv door we could hear he had a serious respiratory infection; he had labored breathing, wheezing, sneezing constantly when awake, squeaking etc.

We took him to an awesome vet today, she was really great with him and had experience with hedgehogs. She said she had never seen a hedgehog this sick and we need to know there's a good chance he will die

We've upped his temps a little, he's on cardboard strips as substrate with fleece to snuggle, he eats cat food and lives in a 3 foot viv (we were going to upgrade but don't want to stress him further). At the vet he was weighed and given an injection of anti-biotics, and we also have Baytril to give him as of tomorrow (we have lots of experience with rodents so are familiar with Baytril!)

I'm basically asking, when is enough enough?

Flair is struggling to breathe and utterly miserable; we got back from the vets and it took him hours to move, he was just lying there wheezing. I have a video I can post to show his condition from yesterday...I just want to hear what chances people think he has, because I don't want to prolong any suffering...currently I think we're planning to wait two or three days, and if there is no improvement have him pts - is that leaving it too long?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFjX_-S3zDE

Thanks for any thoughts, he's such a gorgeous little guy and doesn't deserve this
Reddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I Dont know but I wanted to cry with the. Idea, poor baby. Hope he gets better soon
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

That sounds horrible for both you and Flair. After a quick glance at your video I noticed that you have an infrared light in the cage right now. I have heard bad things about them, so I would recommend taking that out right away. They bother hedgies a lot, especially at night.

As for the respiratory infection, it doesn't sound good. What kind of meds were injected? I would give them a chance to work and go from there. Is he eating? Drinking? If not is's time to syringe feed.

Sorry about this unfortunate situation, I hope things improve for you and Flair.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Did the vet mention anything about being able to admit him? Would you be able to afford that if so? I know someone else on here had a hedgehog with a serious case of pneumonia & he ended up staying at the vet's for a couple days. They were able to give him more effective breathing treatments to help him breathe & such. I believe when the owner brought him home, they were given instructions on how to do the treatment at home as well. I'll see if I can find the thread to link.

Edit: That hedgehog was getting nebulizing treatments, apparently. https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ny-better.html

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 04-25-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2016, 04:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Artemis-Ichiro - thank you, it's really sad to see I sent a kinda angry message to his previous owner (not aggressive, but cold - I honestly don't understand how they could a) have not noticed, and b) have not got him treatment) and they said they were 'shocked' and that they 'honestly didn't know' anything was wrong with him...

Prue - Okay, we'll sort the lights out, I ordered one of the CHE (I think) ones. I don't know what was injected, I'll see if it says on the vet receipt (okay it was just a Baytril injection). I think he's eating, but I don't think it's enough - his small bowl of food has gone down a little and there's been a few pieces knocked out as well. As for if he's drinking I can't know for sure because we can't have him in our living room as the vet said there was a possibility of him spreading the URI to our other pets. We go check on him / his temps every few hours, but can't watch him 24/7.

Lilysmommy - I don't think we could afford that right now - we have literally just found out we haven't been getting payments as we should and our funds have gone way down, so that's fun...we can afford the next few standard-fee vet visits, and hopefully we'll have it sorted soon...

I'll check out the thread though, thanks.
Reddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in