Sneezing, virus? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Artemis-Ichiro
  • 1 Post By Artemis-Ichiro
  • 2 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Sneezing, virus?

I am proud to announce the arrival of my little baby, Primrose! When I went to pick her up at the breeders she would making this noise that I thought could just be huffing because she was irritated and moving to her new environment. After bringing her home, I soon realized she was actually sneezing, not huffing. She also occasionally has some clear mucus coming out of her noes and this morning it is dried and crusty. The breeder recently had an outbreak within her herd which she told me her vet said it was just a virus, and would pass. She told me she didn't realize the baby was sick and I could get some probiotics, Bene-Bac, for her to help boost her immune system, but other than that it's basically a waiting game for it to pass. The breeder did apologize and said that if anything furthers to let her know. I am going to the pet store today to try to find the probiotic and will begin giving it to her later today. Is there anything else I can do for her?

Edit: She is on fleece bedding now in her new cage but was on wood shavings when I visited her the first time, then pellets when I picked her up

(Bonus picture)
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sarahgx__; 04-23-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Sarahgx__ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

With the history with that breeder I'd take her to the vet immediately, that is not normal and if it's a URI she can die. Not to scare you.

One recommendation when picking up a hedgehog is making sure they are healthy, no sneezing nor discharge from the nose.

Good luck.
nikki likes this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I visited her last Sunday and there was no sneezing or mucus. Yesterday when I picked her up I didn't realize that she was sneezing and believed it was huffing.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know it's hard to realize it but you have her now and I think you need a vet. Do you have any warranty on it? Especially if she is sick.

Mine had a 6 months warranty for congenital effects and lifetime for WHS.
nikki likes this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Its time for a veterinary visit. Sneezing doesn't usually just pass, it usually is a sign of an upper respiratory infection and will require medication from a veterinarian to treat. URIs in hedgehogs, if left untreated, can quickly progress to pneumonia. You may have no symptoms one day and a couple of days later be dealing with something much worse. Hedgehogs are amazing at hiding illness, they will act otherwise normal for as long as they can despite being extremely sick.

Probiotics are good for fixing bad flora in the GI, giving it a boost when they are on antibiotics, or have green stools from dietary changes or stress. They won't fix a URI.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Posting from my phone, so I'm not sure if my picture or name looks the same. I will definitely be scheduling an appointment for a vet visit when they are open. It's making me so sad watching her sneeze constantly. Is there anything I can do for her in the mean time? She is only 7 weeks old and I brought her home yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in