Please help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Please help!

I'm starting to panic. Luis has been off for a few days, but today he seemed to take a turn for the worst.

So he had been very tired and lethargic for a week or so. I figured that it was because he had surgery not long ago and was recovering. I wasn't seeing him come out of his hide for food and he didn't want to romp around like usual. He hadn't really run on his wheel since the surgery, but my vet had informed me that it would take some time for him to heal, and running might be uncomfortable. I feel really guilty saying this, but I have been going through exams this last week, and he did not get the usual amount of attention. This is probably why I didn't realize just how off he was acting.

So I realized this morning that Luis hadn't eaten much at all last night, and usually he clears his bowl completely. I picked him up a few minutes ago (the amount of concern was growing rapidly) and he didn't want to come out of his ball. I fed him a kibble (after he hesitated for a while), but he still refused to come out. As I was placing him back down into his cage, he made a couple of bizarre sneeze-like sounds that I have never heard before. I decided to clean out his cage a couple of days early (I had gotten him new bedding and figured it might be causing the sneezing), and when I put him in his playpen, he stayed balled up for a long while. The bedding is changed now, but I don't know what to do. He finally just came out of his ball, but is now stumbling around the playpen, tripping over his feet. He is falling forwards and looks like he has limited control over his movements. It looks like WHS, but he is 5, and doesn't WHs normally occur early in life? Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thank you for reading this, I hope that someone has an idea what this is. I can't stand seeing Luis struggling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Your symptoms sounds like he may be attempting hibernation.

I'd start by putting him under your shirt on your chest, and throw a nice warm blanket over yourself. Let him warm up slowly from you. Once he starts to uncurl, touch his tummy, I bet its cool. It would also be a good idea to contact your veterinarian to let him know what is happening and if he needs to be seen now.

Check is cage temperature. If it is normal, you may need to increase it if he is recovering from surgery. Sometimes they need more heat while they recover. You didn't mention what type of surgery was done, so I can only speculate as to what may be happening.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
health, not eating, not running, whs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in