Feel bad giving her medicine - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wushu1987

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2016, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feel bad giving her medicine

Took my hedgie to the vet last week and she was started on antibiotics for URI. I feel so bad giving her the meds... The first few doses she would take them mixed in with baby food but not anymore. So now I have to syringe them in and it stresses her out. I have had her less than a month so we are still bonding and she has come a long ways with trusting me. I am afraid that we are going to lose progress since I am pretty much forcing her to take the meds.... Have five more days of meds and I just dread having to give them twice a day....
wushu1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

You need to remember that she needs those meds. Trying different positions and possibly a different additive like canned food.
Bonding may take a step back, try bonding before the meds so she may not feel like you are only getting her out to give her meds.
Your feelings have an effect on it. If you stress, she has no reason not to stress. If you approach syringe feeding as a normal stress free thing, at least she will feel you are in control.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your encouragement twobytwo... I know she needs them and there's no way I would stop before they are done... I take her and give her a few mealworms then give her the meds and then a few more mealworms.. Trying to bribe her with food lol... That makes sense to not be stressed because I'm sure she can sense it... I'm just glad we caught it before it got more serious so hopefully we can get it treated and her back to feeling like her normal self... The vet said it could be from her urinating in her wheel and then breathing it in.. He suggested drilling some holes into it so the urine can dissipate .. Worried about her getting her foot or a nail stuck in a hole though..

Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, not sure what the vet is thinking with that. That's a dangerous idea and the reason wheels like Silent Spinners aren't recommended. My girl has a URI right now too - we're going back to the vet for a recheck today because I feel like she's still a bit too sniffly. However I know exactly what hers came from - her cage was too cool, and even though she didn't hibernation, it was enough to trigger a URI. That may be the case for you as well, maybe not.

What kind of wheel do you have? If you don't already have one, I would highly recommend a bucket or cake cover wheel that's handmade. You can make your own (there are Youtube tutorials) or buy one. Larry T of Carolina Storm Hedgehogs makes them and is very popular. With his wheels, you can tilt the wheel forward or back as needed, so you can tilt it forward enough to allow the urine to drain out as the hedgehog runs. That'd be a much better solution than drilling dangerous holes.

Good luck & hang in there! Syringing hedgies isn't very fun, especially when it's medicine. She'll feel better soon though.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure her room as been warm enough. I use a space heater and it's usually about 75-76 in the room... She was sneezing a bit when we first got her and I thought it was just stress or the paper bedding we had (and no longer had because omg I got tired of vacuuming it up everywhere!!).. But when she got the greenish snot bubble she got to go see the vet... Yeah I don't like the idea of drilling holes either.. I will look into those hand made ones... I believe the one I have now is the comfort wheel..I hope she feels better soon.. She still have a good appetite but I noticed that she's not going on super crazy runs at night like she was... So sad when they are sick
Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Which one is recommended by Carolina storm? I see there are different ones? Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

One more question on the Carolina wheel... Lol... Is the litter pan that they have that goes underneath easy for them to get into? It looks kind of high in the pics...
Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Those wheels are great and they have no problem with the tray.

Try contacting LarryT here, he is very helpful, that's how I got my wheel.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you! I think I am going to get one.. I think she felt better last night because I came home to a very poopy wheel so I'm sure she was running pretty good but her wheel was also kind of sideways like it got off balance or something and I really don't like that! She doesn't seem hurt but that's kind of scary!!
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in