Sick hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2015, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Sick hedgehog?

My boy Fidget just turned 3 a week ago and has never had any health problems until almost 2 months ago. He was under the care of my mother at the time and when I came to visit I noticed that his vocalizations sounded different. It didn't seem too bad but I asked her to take him to a vet just in case.

The vet said that she didn't think anything was wrong (I don't think she knew much at all about hedgehogs) but based on my observations diagnosed him with a URI and put him on a 10 day course of Clavamox. At the end of this course his symptoms were the same, and during the next few days he started to sound worse. He was still eating and drinking normally and running as much as usual.

I took him to a different vet and he was put under anesthesia to check his mouth, throat, etc. and everything looked fine. This vet also diagnosed him with a URI and put him on 2 weeks of Baytril. There was no improvement for the first several days and then he started to sound worse and worse. The last day or two of his course of antibiotics he started to improve slightly, but after he wasn't taking them anymore they worsened even more. He finished the course about 5 days ago. He seems to have been eating slightly less but his activity is pretty much normal.

I took him back to the vet today and her opinion was that because he had been under two courses of antibiotics, the problem could not be a URI or pneumonia. She said that she could put him under anesthesia again and do an X-ray, but anything she found that way would be too serious to treat. Her recommendation was that I should just enjoy my time with him without further action, since he is 3 years old and "getting up there in age."

My question is, should I take him to a different vet? I don't want to just give up and let him die if it could in fact be a URI or something else easily treatable. In the vet's office today he did end up peeing on the table and his urine was darker than usual, but I don't know if this was blood in his urine or due to dehydration. I made sure he had water tonight and gave him white fabric for bedding so I can see if this changes.
Moonjoone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

If it were me I'd seek a third opinion. One who is an expert in exotics. If he didn't respond to the medications for URI, it might be something else. Or it can be also due to his old age. Let us wait for those with more experience to reply
nuttylover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Have any cultures been done? That will let you know exactly what your dealing with.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

As mentioned, a culture and sensitivity test would be my next question for the vet. This may very well still be a URI, it could just be a resistant strain of infection that the baytril and clavamox cannot touch. There are plenty of bacterial infections that are resistant to antibiotics. If the right one is not prescribed then this won't go away.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
blood in urine, sick, uri

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in