Possible URI - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Possible URI

Last sunday i took Pokie to the vet because he had a runny and wet nose. He gave him baytril and some vitamins. I've been giving him that with his worms 2 times a day.

All this time he has a good apetite, and he is still very happy and curios.
20 minutes ago i took him from his cage to play with him and i saw that his nose was very runny again. It is still very clear, but still it is runny.
Should i ask for some other antibiotics ?

The main problem is that veterinarians here dont know how to treat hedgehogs, can someone tell me what other medicine should he use ?
Bocko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, at least the discharge from his nose is still clear. I would continue with the antibiotics if you have not finished the full prescribed course of them and give the vet a call on Monday and let them know what's going on. They may want to try something different.

If you don't feel confident that you're getting the best care from the vets nearby, you can always try expanding your search further out. If there's another town nearby, try there. Or maybe there is one close by that you don't know about. Call and ask around.

The thing is is that we really can't help you much from here. You really need a vet to treat illnesses.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is it possible the temperature is not high enough? Leeloo had a runny noes too, and my vet told me everything was normal, just to put the temperature a little higher. She explained that it is like us, when it is a little bit cold, we sometimes have a little bit of a runny noes...
Leeloosmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 04:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

The thermometre is telling that i have almost a constant tempereture of 24 degries celsius it is 75,2 farenheit.
I am still on lookout for cheramic heater so i got a heating pad which i turn on and of from time to time.

Beside that i am also turning from time to time the aircondition on heat emiting so i thing that te temperature is ok or am i wrong ?
Old 12-06-2015, 05:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

He still has a good apetite, eats a lot of catfood and i give him mealworms with a liitle medicine on it, he eats them frenzy .

In my hand he is cuddly, he just relaxes while i pet him. But when i put him on the floor he is again an adventurer. He goes on his favorite places where he has his sexy time oO .

He doesnt look sick, but im scared because of his nose. It is wet 90 percent of the time i play with him. I know that it could be runny and wet when he wakes up and it i ok, but still im scared because of him.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

For myself, i now keep the temperature at 25. But the good temperature vary from each hedgehog... My vet told me that 24 was the lowest i can keep the temperature for her... Also, i read that clear mucus can be allergy... What are you using for bedding? If you use fleece, what kind of soap are you using? I am trying to find all the possibilities, because you said your vet does not really know hedgehog... Sounds like he gave medication just in case...
Old 12-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

well you are right, the vet is a very good man, but has no expirience in exotic animal. Very rarely do vets here have experience in exotic animals.

Now that you mention, i have changed shaving a couple of days ago, because the regular i use was sold out. On the other hand hed runny nose before the shavings change :/ .

I think that it is possible that he needs a liitle bit more warm.
The problem is there are just two solutions.

A che lamp of 60w and a lamp heater with a fan, which can be controlled to run and 5w, 50w, and 100 w (and it is conecting like a lightbulb too)
The 60w CHE bulb is 15 euros, and the fan heter bulb is 30 euros.
I dont care about the money, what is the better option.

Since i dont know wgat is going on with him, i want to give him the best condition i can, and hope it is enugh.

Last edited by Bocko; 12-06-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-06-2015, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The CHE lamp would be best, but three things - you'll probably want at least a 100 watt bulb, 60 watt doesn't tend to be strong enough for anything other than a plastic tote cage. You'll also need to make sure you have a thermostat to plug the lamp into to control the temperature. And make sure the lamp is 10" in diameter to spread heat out more effectively, and that it's safe to use with CHEs (because they get very hot).

The lamp heater with fan wouldn't be good because it sounds like it would include blowing air (with the fan) and drafts aren't good, warm or cold. Once the draft stops, it can feel colder & that can cause issues in a sensitive hedgehog.
Bocko likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

You may try to bump up the temperature a little bit. And as shynydistraction said, it may be a good idea to call your vet tomorow to let him know what is going on... If he still eating, acting normal, mucus stay clear, and his lungs are clear, and you do not think it is allergy, I think you should not worry. But I may be wrong...
Bocko likes this.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi all
Here is a little update from Pokie.
Besides his runny nose he was very active on the wheel last night, and the night before that. Tomorow is day ten od baytril and vitamins. When the dose is over in couple of days, i will take him to the wet so he can hear if he can see with the stetoscope, and other metods if he has reapiratory problems.

I made two youtube videos if some expirience hedgehog owners can tell me how it looks.

Video 1 is when i woke Pokie from a short dream, i played about an hour with him so he was tired. In this video he has a runny nose.
Hedgehog wet nose: http://youtu.be/Dm6euDsWCiA

Video 2 was taken when he was awake over half an hour and there he has i think a nice non runny nose.
Hedgehog clear nose: http://youtu.be/YqA1oRdaNi0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in