Please help!!! Signs of URI? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please help!!! Signs of URI?

Hi!! I've just gotten pokey for about 5 days now.
For the past few days he has been making this weird huffing noise. It is quite loud and can be very frequent like every minute or so. And he constantly licks his nose so I can't see if there is any mucus.
(Huffing noise only when he's awake)

But just today, he's making a constant clicking noise while he's asleep. About every time he breathes.

He eats, sleep and poop regularly. Just that sometimes his poop is green and watery.

This is the first time I have a hedgehog so can anyone please help! Is this normal? Cause I'm very worried he might have URI or any other sicknesses.
Pokeythehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It sounds like a vet visit is a very good idea. Those all sound like potential URI sounds, and since we can't hear what he sounds like, it'd be best for you to get him in ASAP. The clicking sound when he breathes is what's concerning me most. Try to get him in to the vet in the next day or two. The faster you catch a URI, the more easy it is to get rid of.

That aside, I want to ask you some questions to see if the URI might just be random or if there may have been something that caused it. What temperature is Pokey's cage? Do you have a heating set up? Have you noticed him feeling cold at any point since you got him? Where did you get him from (Craigslist, a breeder, pet store, etc.)? Has Pokey gotten a bath yet & have had a chance to get water in his nose? Sometimes they accidentally get water in their nose while drinking too.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi! Thanks for replying!
Will bring him to the vet probably tomorrow or the day after!

The temperature here is about 27C or about 80F. I got him from a breeder but it was through a friend so I don't really know the condition he lived in before. I've given him bath 2 days ago. So I doubt the constant huffing is due to water getting in his noes. He's currently on fleece bedding, which I changed recently because I thought he was allergic to carefresh. But the huffing didn't go away.
And he does shiver a couple of times while I hold him.

I actually do have a video of the clicking noise. But not sure where to post it since I can't attach the video here.

Last edited by Pokeythehedgie; 05-20-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Pokeythehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The huffing could be normal hedgie noises, sometimes it can be hard to tell. A video of the clicking noise would be great! You can post it on Youtube, Photobucket, Flickr, etc. and then link to it on your post here. Same thing if you want to get a video of his huffing noises & post that to see if it sounds normal or like sneezing/sniffling.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't want to be gross but the "clicking" might be from the mucous in his nose when he breathes. My hedgehog made similar noises when suffering from a respitory infection but it wasn't loud enough to hear from in the cage. Only when he was beside me.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in