New Hedgie - Very Worried - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ally's_Oliver
  • 1 Post By cloverrea
  • 1 Post By cloverrea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hedgie - Very Worried

Hello, On Saturday, my boyfriend surprised me with a new 7 week old hedgehog. I named him Elton. I have had a couple of concerns after doing a lot of research. When Elton wakes up, he will sometimes blow a bubble from his nose. His nose seems a bit more runny than you would think it should be as well. He also tends to sneeze a bit as well, but much more so in his bin than when I hold him or when he sleeps on me. He eats like a pig and is actually pretty friendly. Other than my respiratory concerns he seems very healthy.

His bedding is aspen wood chips, my thoughts are replacing the wood chips with fleece instead to see if it makes a difference. I was also thinking of making a vet appointment for him this weekend. I really don't know what to do or what the best course of action would be. Any suggestions?
cloverrea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Only a vet can do something about a respiratory infection so I'd make an appointment (preferably asap, if it's an URI it can turn into pneumonia which is dangerous) just to be sure. You can replace the bedding if you want, fleece is what a lot of people use but if it's really an URI it won't matter much since it won't go away without treatment.

I personally take all my new hedgehogs to the vet (I have mostly rehomes/rescues though) for a standard check up just to see if they're healthy.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Draenog. I figured as much. I'm planning on going to the vet I'll be calling to make an appointment on my lunch break. It's always good to go even for a check up.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Draenog is correct, it is 95% sure a respitory infection. And it might be the chips. I had a similar issue right after bringing my hedgehog home, and coincidentally, I was given wood chips to transport him with. However, it may just be a result of his underdeveloped immune system and the stress of coming home, nevertheless, I think switching substrate would be your best bet.
SarahAlwaysWins likes this.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have made a vet appointment the earliest I could possibly get for him. I'll stop by and pick up some fleece on my way home as well as it is pretty much all I can do until his appointment. Thanks for the replies guys
Draenog likes this.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Another thing you can do as you wait for the vet appointment is try to keep his cage nice and toasty. I would also recommend taking out his wheel (if he has one) to try and minimize exercise, it would be like a human with bronchitis going to the gym to do a major workout. But mind you that some hedgehogs will attempt to climb the cage walls when the wheels aren't in there.
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip liam1 I have removed his wheel. I also replace the substrate last night with some warm fleece and to my surprise he was much much less sneezy and runny nosed. However I am still bringing him to the vet as I think this is something that will not completely go away on its own as you guys have mentioned earlier.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just a quick update. Elton when to the vet and they prescribed him some antibiotics for his respiratory infection. Other than that he is happy and healthy
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good to hear! He will be back to himself in no time!
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in