Babies' first bath didn't go too well.... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ally's_Oliver

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Babies' first bath didn't go too well....

So today I decided to give Herbie his first bath. He had peed when I was holding him and got it all over him and myself. I started up the water at lukewarm temp. and about an inch deep. I waited for him to unball and gently set him in. He sat still for a few moments and then started walking around a bit. He slipped a little and got some water up his nose. After sneezing, he seemed just fine so I proceeded to wash and dry him. He has been letting out little sneezes every now and then(not constant) and I was wanting to know if this may be anything serious. Thanks for any help.
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Shortly after I brought my hedgehog home, he developed a respitory infection which involves sneezing and a runny nose. It is not uncommon for this to occur since the hedgehog is young with an underdeveloped immune system. Additionally, the stress of coming home with you and adjusting to a new environment can easily weaken the immune system further. But don't panic! He may just have water in his nose and it is common for hedgehogs to be a little sneezy in a new environment. Keep an eye on him/her. If the sneezing does not subside or you notice any discharge from the nose (a snot bubble was my confirmation), go ahead and take he/she to the vet to be checked out. If it is a respitory infection, and it is caught and treated early, your hedgie will recover in no time. But the longer you wait, the harder it will be to treat and the more probable that the infection will turn into pneumonia, which can be deadly. I cried like s baby when I first realized my hedgie was sick, but don't worry, if it is a respitory infection, it's very treatable and fairly common. You didn't do anything wrong!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Ally's_Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok thanks. I will keep an eye on him. Lqst night I tried to get him out and he wouldn't unball. He would just huff at me and ball up tighter. Is that a sign of a sick hedgehog? He did seem pretty sleepy though so it could be just that.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

He's probably just grumpy from his bath, and wants to be left alone. Babies sleep ALOT up to 23 hours a day! I'd take it easy on him these first few days you have him home. Let him mostly sleep and get accustomed to his new home, and then work on getting him accustomed to you.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I love his mask by the way! I'm such a fan of the dark masks! That's what I was looking for when I was picking out my hog, but Oliver chose me kinda so what can you do?
Old 04-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ah ok. He seems fine today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in