Upper Respiratory Infection? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Upper Respiratory Infection?

I posted another thread previously and didn't have much success with replies and the situation has gotten dire. I gave my hedgehog Liam a bath on Monday, and when I put him in he sneezed four times so I assume he must have gotten some water up his nose. He was fine after that and I made sure to dry him good even using a blowdrier from a distance in case he was cold. He was fine the next day and it wasn't until Wednesday that I noticed he was sneezing a bit and licking his nose. I scheduled a vet appointment for Friday and on Thursday I talked to his vet. He told me to just check if his sneezing decreased and if it did it might have been something minor, but if it got worse or if he stopped eating, drinking, etc. to bring him in asap. I kept an eye out and his sneezing seemed to have decreased and then finally stop, so I cancelled the appointment. It was Saturday morning that he sneezed a bit and I noticed that he was avidly licking his nose. He still eats everything and drinks a lot of water and he's even exercising because I noticed dots of blood in his cage and on his wheel that most likely come from a foot injury from running to much. His poop and pee amount seem good, the only thing I did notice was that at first a little bit of his poop was a very dark green and kind of squishy but after that it was fine until tonight that he pooped mucousy green poop, but it can also be due to the fact that I feed him some broccoli. At around 12 am when I went to check on him tonight he was drinking water and being his normal wild self, even trying to dig into his fleece. But the second time I went to check on him he was sorta coughing as if he was choking on something. After having a mini panic attack I decided to take him out of the cage and now his is snuggled with a blanket. His breathing seems normal and he hasn't had any other symptoms of URI besides the sneezing and nose licking. I see no liquid coming out of his nose/eyes, he isn't acting lethargic, and he still eats, drinks, and exercises like before. I'm freaking out because I have no clue if it's a URI or not, I've heard that sometimes when they use a water bottle (which he has) water can get into their noses and possibly cause sneezing, but it wasn't until after the bath that he started sneezing. I don't know if I should reschedule an appointment with the vet. The appointment would have to be on Monday or Tuesday because they aren't open on Sundays. Sorry this is so long but someone please help!!!

Last edited by liam1; 03-29-2015 at 01:33 AM.
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

UPDATE: I was observing him carefully and now I am fully convinced he has a URI, I saw some liquid dripping down his nose as he breathed, and he is making a few wheezing sounds. I should have taken him to the vet on Friday, do you think he'll be able to hold out until Monday when I can get him to a vet?????
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Keep him warm, bump up your thermostat a few degrees.

I would change to a water bowl, he may be getting water up his nose every time he drinks because water bottles make a hedgie swallow at such an unnatural angle. Just put a water bowl under the bottle.

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in