Possible URI? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible URI?

I gave my baby a bath on Monday and I noticed when I put him in that he may have gotten a little water in his nose because he sneezed four times. After I cleaned him he was fine and I even blow dried him from a distance just in case he was cold. He looked fine yesterday just a bit of nose licking so I figured he was fine. But about 10 minutes ago I took him out of his cage and was playing with him when I noticed he was sneezing and then licking his nose. I'm not certain any white/clear liquid is coming out of his nose but it kinda looks like his nose is a bit wet although I'm not sure if that's anything unusual (ill attach pictures of his nose just in case). He isn't acting lethargic or anything and is still eating, drinking, and running normally. I'm pretty paranoid and I will schedule a vet appointment, but just wanted to double check if it was necessary. He might also be sneezing because of his carefresh bedding but I'm not sure. He's also in the process of quilling if that has anything to do with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150325_140122.jpg (215.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20150325_140140.jpg (209.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20150325_140200.jpg (188.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by liam1; 03-25-2015 at 03:15 PM.
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you're worried about the bedding, I would try putting him on a cloth bedding for a night or two to see if it changes anything. A single layer piece of fleece cut to fit the cage would work fine (you can usually get cheap fleece blankets at a Walmart or similar store that can be cut down), or if you have an old pillow case or sheet, that would work too. Just make sure you check a pillow case or sheet for any loose strings that could get caught around feet/legs.

If you don't notice any change after switching the bedding, or if you're unable to try switching the bedding to test, definitely stick with the vet appointment. It's always best to catch URIs as quickly as you can. Good luck!
Buttons and liam1 like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not sure if this was a one time thing with getting water up his nose or if he panics in the bath most times. My hedggie huffed bath water a few times until I found a way he couldn't. I fill a bucket with warm water and use a cup to pour it slowly over him letting the water flow behind him with an open drain in the tub. This would just be a prevention method for future.
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
If you're worried about the bedding, I would try putting him on a cloth bedding for a night or two to see if it changes anything. A single layer piece of fleece cut to fit the cage would work fine (you can usually get cheap fleece blankets at a Walmart or similar store that can be cut down), or if you have an old pillow case or sheet, that would work too. Just make sure you check a pillow case or sheet for any loose strings that could get caught around feet/legs.

If you don't notice any change after switching the bedding, or if you're unable to try switching the bedding to test, definitely stick with the vet appointment. It's always best to catch URIs as quickly as you can. Good luck!
I talked to the vet on Thursday and he told me to just look out to see if his sneezing decreased by the next day, which it did so I cancelled the vet appointment he had for Friday. Today that I was snuggling with him I noticed he sneezed once but it could've been because his foot touched up against his nose and maybe that tickled him? He also pooped and I noticed a small part of it was like a dark green, but when he pooped again it was brown as usual. Should I be worried???
liam1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in