Tumor removed - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Twiggy22

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tumor removed

This week has been a bit stressful, I am sorry I am ranting but I had to just share my experience and get it off my chest, I am surrounded by family who do not understand that I would go through all this for an animal that only lives 4-5 years.. and my Twiggy is 4 years old. Monday night I was about to give twiggy a bath and I realized she wasn't closing her mouth all the way and she was licking it continuously. I tried getting a good look in her mouth but she would not let me. so I called the vet immediately. they took us in the following day and the vet also could not get a good look in her mouth either. so he prescribed Zydaclin (clindamycin) antibiotics 2x a day0.1 mls. now this is the first time I have ever had to have her treated but I have only had her a year and a half.
based on her history, or the history that I have had since her previous owner hardly gave me any information the vet determined that she has an infection or because she is an older hedgehog that it could also be cancer. so on Thursday two days later we scheduled her to get sedated and xrays. but when the vet went in there he saw a mass and it was a little bigger
than the size of a qtip. which he removed and took a picture of it and had it printed out to show me.

my poor girl had this thing growing in her mouth and I only just noticed... I feel so horrible and guilty because I have been so busy this summer pet sitting for other people and my mom has had to take care of her.. I have been spending my whole summer watching other peoples animals...
well anyway we had the pathology sent out and I find out next week what the thing is. Twiggy though is a trooper, she came out of that surgery with flying colors. I got to take her home after she woke up and she ate, ran on her wheel and then went to bed. I am so amazed at her strength. the vet even said she was healthy otherwise. him and his staff also commented on the condition of her teethe. he said she had the cleanest teethe for a 4 year old that he rarely sees. he treats hedgies a lot and really seemed to know his stuff.
but now its a matter of will it grow back... will the pathology come back cancerous.. what do we do next....
gracefulchaos01 likes this.
Twiggy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't beat yourself up for not noticing sooner- you got her to the vet as quickly as you could.
Take it one step at a time. Continue to love her. When you get the test results back, that will give you more information as to what your next steps will be. It sounds like you have a really great vet who is knowledgeable.
I'm hoping for the best for you and Twiggy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in