teething? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question teething?

Yuki, my 8 week old hedgie, seems to like to chew on/bite things and i'm curious as to why/if this is normal.

for example, there is a large rock in his cage that i use to discourage borrowing under the fleece liner and as large as this rock is he still somehow manages to get his little jaws on it-- it amazes me honestly. occasionally i have seen him chew on a towel, but next to the rock his new favorite thing to chew on/bite is his wooden house. cats or a dogs sometimes chew on/destroy things for the fun of it, but Yuki's chewing/biting seems different. every time he chews on something it seems to literally come out of no where and only last a few seconds. why?

is he teething...? is he just tasting things likes the taste of the rock and house?

does anyone else's hedgie(s) do this?
nighstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm not sure what age hedgehogs lose their baby teeth at, so I'm not sure if this could be teething or not. Some hedgehogs are just mouthier than others, and it could be a baby thing he'll grow out of or it might not. However, I'd be very concerned about him chewing on the rock - it could be very easy for him to break or chip a tooth when biting or chewing on that, and while he might still have his baby teeth right now, that could still cause problems for him (if he breaks or chips it enough to expose the inside of the tooth to infection), and if he has his adult teeth (or once he does) and breaks or chips one of them, he's stuck with it. I would take the rock out or try to discourage him from biting and chewing on it.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it.

it makes me sad to remove the rock, though.... it's doing its job of keeping the liner down so well... i guess i'll have to figure out something to replace it with. something that Yuki won't want to bite/chew. :/

Old 04-08-2014, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Isn't he just trying to anoint? Mine bites almost everything that smells funny to him.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

after i posted the original post, before Lilysmommy's reply, i had put a newly acquired rock in the cage and Yuki went absolutely crazy over it. i'm sure the rock smelt like all kinds of new, naturey things and that's what made him go crazy... he actually not only bite it lots of times but also scratched at it repeatedly. it was like he was desperately trying to pull at it or push it...?

he didn't foam at the mouth or lick himself or anything, so i'm not sure it was actually annointing... but the smell definitely played a part in it, i'm sure.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is the hedgie in the tube in the picture yours?
^-^
Nikkinak44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

epp! just saw that's there's a reply.

@Nikkinak44
yep, that's my Yuki.

just to update:

i'm sitting in the waiting room of a vet as i type this on my phone. i'm bringing Yukihari in because he's been sneezing and licking his nose a lot, so i want to get him checked out.

on top of that i found what i think is a tooth in his cage today? i was reading a book on hedgies and according to it it's probably a baby tooth, but i'm still going to show it to the vet and see what he thinks.

so nervous..... D; for Yuki AND my sake since it's my first time at a vet with an exotic pet and i'm going to have to navigate everything in Japanese...

Tags
biting, chewing, teething

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in