Possible Oral Cancer - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shmurciakova
  • 2 Post By Nancy
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Default Possible Oral Cancer

Hello! I`m new here, and it`s really sad that my first thread is for something this horrible.
My hedgie is about 5 months old. On Friday night, I noticed a reaaaally small bump on the left side of his cheek. He was not at all helpful when I tried to look in his mouth. On Saturday, the thing was definitely bigger, so I made an appointment to the vet and on Sunday (the bump grew again) they examined him.
At first, the vet thought it was a tooth problem or an abcess, but when she opened his mouth, there was a pink-yellow lump. She poked it, but nothing came out but blood. So she said it was not an infection or a tooth and it is either a cyst or a tumor. She prescribed an antibiotic and painkiller and told me to give him soft food and to come back on Tuesday to check on him and decide what to do. I asked her if there is a way to find out what it is and she told me she can perform a biopsy, but she has to anesthetize him and there is a risk for him, because he is small. After that, if it is indeed a tumor and the X-ray shows that it has not spread it can be possible to remove it with surgery. But again, it will be risky.
So, after all this, I can not decide is it worth it? I will do anything to save him, money is not an issue. But what if he dies from the anesthesia? I just won`t bear the fact that I took the decision, he is only five months old . So, here are some questions:
Is there a *safer* kind of gas to use for the anesthesia?
How big is the risk exactly?
If the risk is high, is it better to refuse the biopsy and continue the painkillers and try to make the rest of his life happy and comfortable and to love him? And how long can he live with that? Months? Weeks?...
Thank you for reading and any answer/advise will be extremely appreciated.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sugar Grove, VA
Posts: 496

I know that you will read on here that there is a risk from gassing a hedgehog. There is a risk with anything….. but I have had 3 hedgies and my vet has gassed them all to no ill effects. It is the only real way that she is going to be able to get a good look in his mouth to determine what this thing is. I would not worry about that part of the procedure. I would recommend that you take him in and have a biopsy done. After that you can decide what you want to do. However, he is very young and probably could cope with surgery if it is necessary….perhaps someone who has dealt with oral tumors will chime in, but I would *think* he is a bit young for that to be the diagnosis. I also wanted to add that if you do not feel confident with this vet for some reason, maybe you can find out if there is a better one before you perform a surgery - if necessary.
Best of luck!
Susan H.
nikki likes this.

Last edited by shmurciakova; 03-18-2014 at 11:06 AM.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 8,950

I've had more hedgehogs gassed than I care to think about and, thank goodness, all have come through fine. I would never have one gassed for something minor like a nail trim but for a health issue that requires gassing for a proper diagnoses, I don't hesitate. Consider the options. Gas him, with the small risk of an adverse reaction, but you find out what exactly is wrong and potentially cure him, or don't take the small risk and most likely whatever is wrong will end up killing him.

At 5 months old, there is more of a possibility that this is an abscess than a tumour. Although not an impossibility, at that age, an oral tumour would be rare. Most of the time, antibiotics alone will not get rid of an abscess. Usually they need to be drained and cleaned out which will require him to be gassed.

When they gas them for a quick examination they only give enough to knock them out. The vet should be prepared to do what is needed to clean out the area if it does appear to be an abscess. You don't want to have the vet say, yeah it is an abscess but he'ell have to come back again for it to be cleaned out. I've had a couple with tooth infections pulled and cleaned out while I watched.

Hopefully it is just an abscess.
nikki and Lilysmommy like this.
* * * Nancy * * *

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3

Oh, well, that is a relief. Thank you both for answering, I needed to hear that from someone who is experienced
I spoke with the vet today and we decided that tomorrow they are going to have the biopsy and the x-ray done. She said not to give him painkillers tonight (my guess is that because they make him quite sleepy, maybe they could interfere with the anesthesia tomorrow?)
Anyways, I will try to post the results afterwards. Hopefully everything will be alright.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3

Hello all :]
So, on Wednesday we did an X-ray without gassing him, and according to the vet, it didn` t look like a tumor to her. We continued with the antibiotics and today she said there is a big improvement! The bump is a bit smaller, and she noticed that there aren`t any cyst-looking thingies in his mouth. (I`m sorry if I sound strange, I`m not a native speaker :])
She prescribed a gel called Solcoseryl, that is used for wounds and burns, 2-3 times a day for a week.
So I really hope that next Saturday hedgie will be back to his happy healthy self, because he kind of hates me now

Oh, and a scary thing happened today as the vet sprayed a local painkiller in his mouth. Hedgie freaked out and started biting his tongue! I picked him up and he stopped, and when I put him down, he started again...this continued for an hour :[ he was bleeding a lot and it was horrible to watch. So ever since I check on him every half an hour to make sure he is okay. His tongue is darker now, a bit purple, but he licks his nose a lot and eats just fine, so I assume he is okay.
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oral Cancer penelope_the_hedgie Teeth & mouth issues 6 03-07-2014 11:24 PM
Reproductive cancer and oral cancer penelope_the_hedgie Bleeding, Female 1 03-06-2014 08:32 PM
Oral Cancer love-bug98 Health 21 04-22-2013 05:32 PM
My hedgie has oral cancer! HELP? ClaraBasil Health 12 09-06-2012 08:48 AM
oral infection or oral cancer? ambeester Health 2 12-29-2008 05:27 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum