Lost a fang, followed by more peoblems. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Lost a fang, followed by more peoblems.

Wow, I just noticed I spelled problems wrong. Ughh. Anywhoo....

My hedgehog Boo is six and half months old. Being a curious little lady, she must chew on everything she encounters. That being said, she lost a fang while trying to pull up my floor carpeting. I didn't notice the missing tooth until the underside of her nose became very puffy and red. I took her to the vet and was given antibiotics, probiotics, and pain killers. That's a lot of meds for a tiny animal in my opinion, but I've been following the doctors orders. However, I have noticed she has become quite inactive. She hasn't been on her wheel at all lately, only to run for a minute, go to the bathroom, and step off. I'm getting really worried. She'll still move around her cage now and then to grab a quick drink or eat. She's been on the meds since last Friday and is suppose to be on them for another week to come before we go back to the vet for a check up. Is this usual behavior for a hedgehog on meds?

Last edited by LufaMouse; 02-20-2014 at 02:23 AM.
LufaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Call the vet and ask. The pain killers may be making her drowsy, but I really don't know and with any sudden change in behavior you'll want to get it checked out.

The probiotics won't have a negative effect on her. They help balance out the good bacteria in the GI tract, which is often upset by antibiotics. You can even continue to give them to her for a couple weeks after the antibiotics are done until her tummy is back on track.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just called. The vet didn't seem too concerned. Maybe I'm over reacting, but this is definitely strange behavior for Boo.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Is there anything changed in her environment? Light schedule, temperature, scents/sounds in the room, light coming in from outside at night, etc? Is she still eating and drinking her normal amount?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

When Rowdy had his eye removed, he was put on pain killers and meds as well. I noticed he was more inactive initially when I first gave him his pain meds and they kicked in. He got his meds in the morning (around 5:30am) since that's when I get up & could give it to him at the same time every day. Once his pains meds wore off, he was slightly more active but still wasn't as active as he was off them. Once he was no longer on his pain meds, he was definitely more active and ran on his wheel.

How often/when are you giving her the pain meds? That might make a difference too. If you give them to her in the evening there may be a chance that when they kick in she might be less active and since you have her out that's what you see. Is it possible that she may be running at night but you may not notice it?
Old 02-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmayAnne View Post
When Rowdy had his eye removed, he was put on pain killers and meds as well. I noticed he was more inactive initially when I first gave him his pain meds and they kicked in. He got his meds in the morning (around 5:30am) since that's when I get up & could give it to him at the same time every day. Once his pains meds wore off, he was slightly more active but still wasn't as active as he was off them. Once he was no longer on his pain meds, he was definitely more active and ran on his wheel.

How often/when are you giving her the pain meds? That might make a difference too. If you give them to her in the evening there may be a chance that when they kick in she might be less active and since you have her out that's what you see. Is it possible that she may be running at night but you may not notice it?
9am antibiotic and probiotic
5pm pain killer
9pm antibiotic and probiotic

She usually runs around 5 pm. But I know she hasn't been running because her wheel is clean and doesn't have crap slathered all over it.

Last edited by LufaMouse; 02-22-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Is there anything changed in her environment? Light schedule, temperature, scents/sounds in the room, light coming in from outside at night, etc? Is she still eating and drinking her normal amount?
Nothing has changed. The vet told me to feed her less because she's apparently a tad heavy. Now I feed her one teaspoon of food instead of two.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

One teaspoon? Or did you mean table spoon? I would not cut back so much to start with. I would go 1 1/2 and see how that works.
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Is that definitely 'teaspoon', or was that a typo & meant to be 'tablespoon'?

One teaspoon is a very, very small amount of food and not nearly enough for a hedgehog. When did you cut down her food? Was it right after the vet visit for the tooth & right before the drop in activity? If it really is one teaspoon, she probably doesn't have much energy because she's not getting enough to eat.

What kind of food are you feeding? What's the brand & type? Usually it's recommended to first drop the fat & calorie content in the food before trying to restrict amount of food. Most hedgehogs won't overeat (though there are some that do), and it's very easy to not be feeding them enough if you try to restrict their food intake. That can cause more problems for them, both with health and behavior.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Is that definitely 'teaspoon', or was that a typo & meant to be 'tablespoon'?
Sorry! I totally meant tablespoon! I use to feed her two tablespoons and the vet said to cut it down to one till our next vet visit.
I feed her a mix of Purina One cat food and dried meal worms.

Last edited by LufaMouse; 02-22-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Tags
meds, sick hedegehog, tooth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in