He's a biter - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default He's a biter

Hi everyone. I've had Martin for over a year now and he's always been a bit of a biter. When he was a baby (I adopted at ~8 weeks) he wasn't so bad, but it intensified when he went through quilling and shed his baby quills. Of course that's a very uncomfortable time, so I didn't think much of the biting.

But now he's matured and is still biting like crazy. It's not just little nips either - he'll bite and hang on for dear life and draws blood every time he manages to get me. I'm always having to hold him so he's facing my wrist so he doesn't bite my fingers; he's also managed to get my chin and nose during some snuggle times.

I never use hand creams, the soaps in my house are unscented, and I rarely use perfumes so I'm not even sure what he's smelling that will make him want to take a chunk out of me... It just seems like his natural defense mechanism is to bite rather than quill up!

I've tried to blow air in his face when he does this, but it makes him clamp on and quill up. The only thing I've gotten to work is to not pull away when he bites, but just hold still and he'll let go... but obviously this is very painful for me.

Any suggestions as to why he might be such a biter? And how to deter it and get him to stop biting so much?

Thank you

Proud mum of Martin Pricklebottom <3
thoughtballoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

How's his diet? And if you've got any kind of food on you they'll nip (Martin taught me that after I had Cheetos and then made the mistake of playing with him). Hedgehogs typically huff when they feel threatened, not bite...all I can say is try and have a relaxed hold, minimal pressure. Blow on his nose next time, that usually makes them let go.

Sent from Petguide.com App

MartinAndMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine bites too =[ even when I haven't had anything to eat yet for the day. If you find any tips out, please let me know!!
mellykins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in