Hedgehog teeth - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By GoodandPlenty

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Hedgehog teeth

I was just reading up on how some hedgies have teeth problems. I want to check my guys teeth to make sure they are all okay. I can see his two front teeth and they look healthy but I would like to occasionally check his other teeth.

He is over 12 weeks, so should he have all his teeth at this point? Any tips on how to look at them and also to keep them healthy?

Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Some people have had success with getting their hedgie to bite on a popsicle stick (or similar item), then look at the teeth that way. Or if you have a hedgie that frequently yawns in front of you, that's a good opportunity to look as well. I was always disappointed I never saw Lily yawn.

As for keeping them healthy...hard to say. The only situation I can recall is a person with a hedgie who had some teeth issues, and ended up being told by their vet to feed hedgie a mealworm with some cat toothpaste on it once a day (I think). I haven't heard of anyone else trying that though, and I would check with a vet before trying it - I'm not sure if any of the ingredients would cause issues long-term or not.
Brittany likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, hedgies can have teeth problems, but not at 12 weeks unless something very unusual is going on.

Unless there is something really bad happening, you probably won't be able to identify much for yourself. Even if you can get his mouth open to take a look, would you know what you are seeing? I wouldn't. The general feeling is to have teeth inspected during a yearly vet visit while the hedgie is knocked out. If they need cleaning or repairing it can be done right then.

Sophie checked out fine during her first vet visit. Tartar buildup was minimal. There was a small amount of gum inflammation, but she felt that was just an anomaly of the moment, not an issue.

The vet took three pictures and gave them to me on a CD.

http://serenebreezes.com/Sophies-pictures/teeth-1.jpg

http://serenebreezes.com/Sophies-pictures/teeth-2.jpg

http://serenebreezes.com/Sophies-pictures/teeth-3.jpg

Our vet strongly recommends that kibble only be fed in very small pieces - no whole kibble unless it is already super-small. Most kibble should be quartered. When I was still feeding dry kibble, I quartered the pieces with a box cutter blade. That made the pieces plenty small, but left the pieces in a form where they could still be counted and consumption monitored. It just takes a minute.

The vet recommended two daily treatments for teeth. The first, Maxi/Guard, a cleansing oral gel. I have the four ounce gel bottle (which should be kept refrigerated).

Gel:
http://addisonlabs.com/products/maxi...ansing-gel.php

Spray:
http://addisonlabs.com/products/maxi...ng-formula.php

Sophie is pretty resistant still to having her mouth messed with. What I am doing is coating her afternoon mealies with the gel. She chews up the mealies and gets a dose of the gel in her mouth. At first she didn't trust coated mealies - wouldn't take them. I reduced the amount for a while - got her used to it - then gradually increased the amount, and now I can coat the mealies with as much as they will take. I am coating all of her mealies with Maxi/Guard.

The vet also recommended Vet Solutions Enzadent, an animal toothpaste. I got a small tube and it includes a not-so-little (as in way too big) finger brush. The paste is flavored, to increase likelihood of acceptance. This hasn't worked out with Sophie yet. No success at all, and I haven't tried to press on this issue. I need to get a smaller and better brush that is intended for use on small mammals.
Brittany likes this.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

I took a good look while he yawned yesterday (cutest thing ever, right?) and his teeth all look good from my minimal knowledge of hedgie teeth. They looked to be all there at least lol!

Is it weird that I find those hedgie teeth pics super adorable? lol Im thinking of trying him on a toothpaste later on since hes still young now, and I will definitely ask my vet before doing that. Thanks!

Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in