Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Teeth & mouth issues (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   devastated (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30753)

Fragglicious 09-25-2013 01:49 AM

devastated
 
Please help. I am so torn. I have a 7 y/o male. I have so much love for this critter. Ghiradelli. He has a large swollen side of his face upper jaw. The vet was not much help unless I had approx $700 to shell out. It was $320 to diagnose and if it happened to be an infected tooth the treatment was another $370. I paid $90 just to have them look at him and give me some antibiotics. I should have allowed them to put him down then but I couldn't do it. He is so active and he is still eating and still has cuddle time. I am at a loss. I can't bear the thought of the pain he may be in. At this point I know I am putting off the inevitable. How long can I wait? Who has been through this?

Fragglicious 09-25-2013 01:56 AM

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...CN1410edit.jpg here he is.

Lilysmommy 09-25-2013 07:39 AM

49 Attachment(s)
Are there any other vets around that you could check for lower prices? $700 sounds expensive for something like an infected tooth...though the $90 sounds pretty normal. It does look painful... :( If you can't afford to have his mouth checked more thoroughly under anesthesia & for treatment of whatever the cause is, it might be best to have him euthanized. Mouth issues can become a bigger issue quickly, if infection or tumors spread to the eyes and brain. I know it's hard, but keep in mind that you probably don't want to wait until he's clearly suffering, miserable, and refusing to eat or anything else before you give in. I'm sorry you guys are going through this.

abbys 09-25-2013 10:52 AM

I don't have any advice except to second what Lilysmommy said and say that Piglet and I are sending you and Ghiradelli good thoughts.

Nancy 09-25-2013 11:10 AM

The vet should have been able to make a fairly accurate assessment if this is a tooth issue or a tumour just by looking in his mouth. Looking at his face, I'd lean more towards a tumour just by how it's starting to displace his eye. Is the lumpy area firm or soft?

Would you be able to get a picture of his mouth with his gum pulled up, or inside his mouth? Watch for a yawn and be ready to take a quick picture.

Poor old guy. Oral tumours take way too many of our precious little ones.

grins&needles 09-25-2013 11:56 AM

7 years is very impressive and your little guy has such a sweet face. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I cannot offer advise except that we are here to listen!

AngelaH 09-25-2013 02:55 PM

My heart goes out to you and your little old man. Poor guy looks very uncomfortable. I can't offer any advice since I haven't been through this, I have no idea what I would do.

GoodandPlenty 09-25-2013 03:19 PM

The cost of animal health care is as crazy as people health care. It can get out of hand in a hurry. Either way, if you don't have the money, you are just stuck. It's about impossible to know what the 'right' choice is sometimes.

If it is a tooth, then treatment might make him good as new. He's an old man though; if it is a tooth, it might be way bigger than that and be several teeth; that is, a lot of work would be needed. You can't know whether it is one tooth, five teeth, or a tumor without the diagnosis. That step should give a you much clearer information. Whatever it is, pain-wise it is likely to get a lot worse in a hurry. My best guess is that you'll have to make some decision immediately.

ZeeMartin 09-25-2013 04:49 PM

since you've got antibiotics, I'd run the course of those and see what happens. if it is an abscess the antibiotics should show some effect within 3 or 4 days and you'll see swelling go down. give the full number of days of treatment to see if it works. if it's a tumor, you'll see no improvement. once the antibiotics have had a chance to work you can consider what you need to do next based on how your little guy does.

grins&needles 09-25-2013 07:12 PM

I've been sad about your hedgie all day :( I'm checking in to see if any news! I'm hopeful!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.