Inflamed & Swollen gums! HELP! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Inflamed & Swollen gums! HELP!

I brought my little Sniffles to the vet today, he was really unhappy being there (he's normally not so nervous). Anyway, she put him under just enough so he'd relax so she could examine him. Turns out, he has inflamed & swollen gums (part of his gum is so swollen it's cover one of his teeth so every time he bites down he's in pain). The vet said this could be due to tartar or plaque build up or cancer. She prescribed some medications to treat the issue as a tartar or plaque build up problem.

She prescribed:

- Antirobe (0.13CC twice a day)
- Metacam (0.03CC once a day)
- Florentero (0.11CC once a day, 2 hours before or after the antibiotics)
- Vibrac CHX oral cleansing solution (apply to his gums twice daily)

I was wondering if these doses seemed right and if there are specifications the vet forgot to tell me (such as certain meds should be taken with food or what not). Also, she didn't do anything for his constipation, which is the main reason I took him in (he seems to be eating just a little less and he won't eat crushed kibble he only eats the full ones).

Also, when I gave him his meds he self-anointed, I was wondering if that was a huge problem?? Then I was supposed to give him his probiotics two hours later, but he wouldn't eat it

Last edited by acidrainx; 08-31-2013 at 08:36 AM.
acidrainx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Gum overgrowth is not that rare in hedgehogs and yes the vet is right, it could be caused by all things you mentioned and also, if it is not cancer now, it sometimes turns cancerous.

My Peaches had it. Her teeth would appear and disappear again. She was very stubborn about food and would continue to try and crunch her kibble even though it hurt and made her mouth bleed. Wet food, crushed food, or even broken up smaller was not Peaches idea of food and she wouldn't touch it. Eventually we came to an understanding that she'd reluctantly allow me to syringe feed her, and she would continue to try and crunch her way through baby cat.

She was put on a medication which did help initially. I can't remember the name of it and no longer have her health records on my computer.

He will probably stop annointing with his meds after a couple of doses. You can also mix his meds with some baby food, or A/D or something else he likes. If he'es not eating as much, syringe feeding is a good idea.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, I'm really hoping it doesn't turn into cancer He's only turning two in October Anyway, thank you for the advice I really appreciate it
acidrainx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gums, inflamed, medication, teeth, vet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in