Is this a Hedgehog Tooth? :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Is this a Hedgehog Tooth? :(

Found this in Winston's food bowl tonight.. It definitely looks like a tooth, but I'm not sure if it is his or not. Logically, it probably is his, but I didn't see any blood in his food or on any of his bedding or even on his face. He doesn't seem to be in any pain or anything - if anything, he seems to be super energetic tonight, more so than usual :P He's going to be three in August. Is this normal? Should I take him to the vet? We're due for a check-up anyway, but I wanted to make sure that this was actually his tooth and not something that came in with the cat food somehow.

Pictures here: http://tinypic.com/r/i3crq0/5 and http://tinypic.com/r/2qbg3li/5

It definitely looks like it was a two-rooted tooth and that one had dissolved/broken off.
Kaitlyn531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh, also, just in case it is his tooth (which I strongly suspect it is, despite not finding any blood anywhere), I went ahead and wet his dry food, which he seems to LOVE.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Weird, that definitely does look like a tooth. Do you have any other animals that could have gotten into the food? I would guess that it's a good sign that there's no blood and his activity level is normal. Since he's due for a checkup anyway I think you might as well take him in. Come back and let us know what the vet says because I'm curious to know what might have happened!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed, I'd go ahead and take him to have his mouth looked at, just in case. Definitely a tooth...I wonder if because it's a back tooth, there's no blood showing because he just swallowed it? Always possible it just didn't bleed much, though. A change in energy could always be a sign of distress too, though it sounds weird - if he's more active or jumpy, it could be due to pain. I would have the vet take a good look at his mouth, which may include gassing him to see everything in there & make sure it looks okay. Let us know what happens!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Called and left a message with his vet, so hopefully I can get him to be seen soon! When I added water to his food last night, he ate a LOT of it - more than he usually does - so I'm assuming that means his mouth isn't in very much pain. Not seeing any blood today either, but I'm definitely going to take him to the vet. It's time for a check-up anyway. I'm pretty satisfied with our vet - she makes house calls :P AND she worked with me when he had mites, instead of forcing me to give him ivermectin injections. The only other local vet that takes hedgehogs (that I know of) wanted to do the ivermectin injections, and then talked down at me when I refused and asked about doing Revolution instead. Need to add her to the vet listings we have in the forum
Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wet both my girls food. Ivy will not eat if the food is too hard and when I've seen them eat it just looks like they're having to work too hard so I wet both of their food. Just tryin' to help 'em out lol.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, that's the first time I've ever really heard of doing that without really having issues.. But I will definitely be wetting his food from here on out. I always thought that the dry kibble helped to keep their teeth clean?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wetting can make it easier to eat, and so can crushing it. People are starting to do more of both options recently. One of the only concerns is that wetting can make the kibble go bad more quickly (especially with the heat of a hedgie cage), but the same goes for other soft foods, so. Hard food doesn't actually do much to clean their teeth, from what I've read - once it's chewed and mixed with spit, it gets pretty sticky anyway. That's why dogs & cats that eat hard kibble still need to have their teeth cleaned regularly and have tooth/mouth problems.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ah, thanks for the info, Kelsey! Looks like that's what I'll be doing from here on out :P Is there anything else that I can do to help with dental health? Any supplements/oils to add to his food?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you currently use a water bottle I'd suggest switching over to a bowl, since bottles can sometimes chip teeth. Other than that I think softening the food is the best thing.

Tags
dental, tooth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in