Chipped Teeth... need a VET? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chipped Teeth... need a VET?

Hi Hedgie lovers!!

So I was bathing my hedgie Napoleon, who hates baths. It had been over a month and he smelled really bad. I bath him in luke warm water with Nivea Dry Skin body wash. When I was done bathing him, he was so mad he climbed all over me, as usual, trying to get away. He was so fast that he ended up on my shoulder before I knew it, and he was starting to slide down my back when I went to grab him. He ended up falling to the ground and did not curl up in a ball. I'm about 5'1"! He landed right on his face, did not scream or make any noise. I picked up him and he seemed fine, eyes in tacts and walking around fine. I clipped his nails before I put him back in his cage. He ate some food, and that is when I saw he chipped his tooth...

He licked his lips and I saw he spit something white out. It ended up being his tooth, and when I looked closer at his mouth, which is not easy, he chipped both of his front teeth! He seems fine, and can obviously eat, but I do not know if I should take him to the Vet or not. I feel terrible because I know they lose teeth fast/degrade over time and do not grow in new teeth and he turns a year old in a month. I think he only chipped the front two, but again I am not sure. I have never taken him to the Vet before, and live in PA, so if I NEED to take him, I will have to go to Jersey.

What do you guys think?! Should I call and ask to see if I really need to bring him in or not? Is he okay at this point? Please let me know!
paulaballla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Chipped Teeth... need a VET?

Yes, I would say take him to a vet - he could have other possible injuries from the fall, especially landing directly on his face/head like that. If nothing else, I think the teeth will need to be checked and make sure they won't cause him any pain. Also, I would be seriously careful about your ownership of him - Pennsylvania is supposed to be the worst state regarding illegal hedgehogs, and IMO, you're risking his life by owning him in that state. I'm sorry if you feel that's none of my business, but as you're stating the situation on a public forum, I want to seriously caution you. If he's found and confiscated, there's a very high chance they will simply euthanize him - it's been done before. It's not fair to him to risk his life that way.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

A fall from that height could easily have caused a broken front legs, a broken jaw, or concussion. Those were the most common injuries seen in cats that fell from a height, and often the only presenting symptom was chipped teeth.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice... I will call the Vet in the morning.

Hopefully he runs on his wheel tonight, which will eliminate the thought of any broken bones on his hands and feet. I am from Jersey and moved to PA... there is no reason he will be found by police or anything, and there is actually legislation to appeal the ban on hedgehogs in the State.

I will keep you all updated!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

hedgehogs, being prey animals, will run on broken bones. They have to, it's instinct. The moment they can no longer runs means a death sentence.

We have had cases of hedgehogs with broken bones continue to run on their wheel. And when the owner tried to take the wheel out, she did even more damage trying to climb the cage(with coroplast walls). So the owner had to give her the wheel, and watch her run in a cast, because she would not stop running.

Good luck at the vets!
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Oh my gosh! Poor thing. I do agree that a vet visit is in order. Hopefully they can gas him and check him over really well, x-rays and so forth. I am surprised he was still eating his food like that. You might want to switch temporarily to soft foods. I hope that everything checks out OK and that there is nothing major wrong. At least now you will know where to take him in the future.
Good luck and let us know what happens,
Susan H.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

My friend's guinea pig fell from 3 feet and landed on her face, her jaw was broken, and she had internal bleeding. Definitely get your baby to the vet asap.

reedwoman814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just wanted to keep everyone updated... my hedgie is all good! The vet said he seems fine and healthy. No broken bones or anything

He is okay and should be good, and I will be much more careful and do not drop him again. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

So glad your babe is ok!

reedwoman814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh good...glad to have a happy ending around here this week! That's great that he's just fine.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in