Cleaning Hedgehogs Teeth? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Emc

Default Cleaning Hedgehogs Teeth?

So my lovely Coco had a vet consultation today due to a tumour on her underside, and the vet asked me if i cleaned her teeth. I told her no, and that Coco eats predominately wet food & live insects, and she told me that it's something I should try to start doing. I was a little taken aback to be honest haha, i have honestly never even considered cleaning her teeth - i couldnt imagine there being a toothbrush small enough, but apparently using a q-tip works. So, has anyone ever cleaned their hogs teeth with toothpaste (cat/dog, of course)? Is it something I should start doing?

I've also looked into maybe adding some plague-off powder to her food maybe? Sounds a lot easier than trying to efficiently clean her teeth with toothpaste.

Still waiting on her pathology to come back, by the way. Co is currently enjoying her sleepover at the vets in the meantime, but I already miss the little maniac terribly.
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ria

I have a thread about cleaning Hedgehogs teeth!
One the admin ahs gone through how to do it with the q-tip!

I use the carnilove biscuit as part of her mix which has rosemary which helps keeping teeth clean. And Canagan dog treat have tartar control - I just break little bits of and they are no harder than her normal biscuit. Also the biscuit gets them to produce more salvia than wet food which helps a lot.
So both are keeping her teeth clean and healthy.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Emc

Okay apparently I'm blind and totally missed it haha - I see it now, and totally never realised that brushing a hedgehogs teeth was even a thing!

I'll have to look into getting her treats with some natural ingredients that aid in keeping her teeth clean; but what about plague-off powder? We use it for our dog & cat, and now i'm wondering if maybe I could use it for a hedgehog. Not every day, but just maybe on a couple meals a week?
Emc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ria

You could try it, if theres no harmful ingredients then its definitely worth a try! Check for anything bad and maybe leave it until she's recovered from the operation incase it does unsettle her system.
Ria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in