Help - Something new in hedgies mouth - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Oh and I should add, I really don't hesitate to do surgery when my vet recommends it. It can be costly, but my vet is pretty reasonable cost wise. I've seen some vets quote prices that are way higher than I expect to pay. I also have a vet that I've worked with for nearly 20 years. He has a great surgical hand. He knows what my care goals and risk tolerances are and will recommend care accordingly. Make sure your vet knows what your goals are and hopefully they will recommend accordingly.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Tomorrow is Truffles surgery for the mass removal in her mouth. I am very very anxious and nervous about this but I am also confident in my vet. Truffles is currently wrapped up in a blanket in my lap and she's doing lots of licking of my arm lol.

We still are on the fence about testing the tumor or not. If we do it, we will know for sure what kind it is. However, if we find out that it's the worst kind, what are we going to do about it? I can't prevent a new one of returning 😞 So will it just cause unnecessary grief? It's not that she's not worth the extra money to test it, by any means. I'm just not sure how beneficial it will be to know. Any suggestions?

Also, for your hedgies who have had surgery, do you have any extra care tips in the recovery stages? I'll do anything to make her comfortable.

Thank you so much again.
QueenTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

First and foremost, good luck and keep us updated.

Secondly, recovery will depend a lot on her and the surgery itself. Some act like nothing happened, and others need more babying.

A couple of things though:

Talk to your vet about the medication he gives her. Pain medication for the first day or two is important. Pain medication can made them sleep a lot and greatly decrease their activity levels. Not a bad thing while they recover, but something to keep in mind so you don't panic if she only wants to sleep.

Pick up some pate style canned cat food that you can syringe feed in case you need it. You can pick up a can or two of Hills A/D from the vet (is a prescription food). However, I recently discovered Wellness brand chicken pate syringe feeds really well, and anecdotally the hedgehog I was feeding gained weight faster on it than she did the Hills.

If she is on an antibiotic, get a probiotic to supplement her.

Otherwise monitor for discomfort, monitor the wound site to ensure she isn't digging at it, watch her weight and give her lots of cuddles and love.

Good luck!

Snuffle!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you so much! Sorry for the late update. Surgery was a success! She came home with a couple of days of pain meds, and no antibiotics needed. The vet said it looked like the mass was localized to the lower jaw area in the gums. I did offer her both when and dry food, and she's been eating the dry food straight up since she got home. It's been one week now, she seems her normal self and maybe even a bit more social, but I've also been spending lots of extra time with her 🙂 it is hard to have a look at the site though I will admit, as she doesn't like much close to her mouth unless it is food and even then she likes to eat in private lol. Otherwise though, so far so good and I'm so relieved to have her home. Now fingers crossed it doesn't come back, or if it does, it comes back super slowly. Thank you again for your incredible support!
nikki likes this.
QueenTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Yeh! Thank you for the update. I was wondering how it went, but didn't want to post and seem like a nag . Now to keep our quills crossed that it stays gone and she has a lot more good quality time with you yet.

Snuffle!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in