My 2 Year Old Hedgie Has Been Losing Teeth - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My 2 Year Old Hedgie Has Been Losing Teeth

I'm not sure when this started, as her appetite hasn't really changed, and she doesn't exactly like having her face touched, but I noticed my 2 year old hedgehog, Arwen, is missing at least 5 teeth. It's hard to really tell how many because even with my boyfriend's help, she's difficult to keep still. She has a vet appointment the day after tomorrow, but my mind is racing about what could be the cause. I've read that oral cancer is common in hedgies, and I couldn't bear it if that is the cause. She's my emotional support animal, and I can't imagine losing her. I contacted her breeder for advice, but she said she knows nothing about hedgehog dental issues. Can anyone else who's experienced excessive hedgie tooth loss tell me about their experiences? Good or bad, I want to know.
Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnip View Post
I'm not sure when this started, as her appetite hasn't really changed, and she doesn't exactly like having her face touched, but I noticed my 2 year old hedgehog, Arwen, is missing at least 5 teeth. It's hard to really tell how many because even with my boyfriend's help, she's difficult to keep still. She has a vet appointment the day after tomorrow, but my mind is racing about what could be the cause. I've read that oral cancer is common in hedgies, and I couldn't bear it if that is the cause. She's my emotional support animal, and I can't imagine losing her. I contacted her breeder for advice, but she said she knows nothing about hedgehog dental issues. Can anyone else who's experienced excessive hedgie tooth loss tell me about their experiences? Good or bad, I want to know.
I am so sorry about your little Arwen. She may not be eating because the area where the tooth was may hurt. It seriously hurt when I got my teeth pulled. I could only eat a soft or liquid diet. The pain in her face is a bit concerning. I am glad you are on top of making an appointment with the vet.
I am a new hedgie mom myself so I am not one of the more experienced people here but could it be something she's been eating that is high in sugars like fruits and such? Do you feed her dried fruits at all? Do her treats have hidden sugars in them? They do it to us humans so they may be doing it to our pets too. Are her treats soft or hard? Soft ones may be getting stuck in her teeth? Just some ideas and maybe your answers will help the more experienced folks help more.

LuckFupus458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Actually, she is still eating properly, fortunately. ❤️ I think you may have misunderstood.

Honestly, I rarely give her fruit. She tends to only try a kind of fruit once and then ignores it. She also for some reason has never liked to eat insects, which is odd, you know, for an insectivore. I've only gotten her to eat a couple mealworms in the two years I've had her. She largely prefers sweet vegetables like sugar snap peas and corn. Sometimes carrots.The only treats she'll take consistently are turkey, chicken, sugar snap peas, and corn. All of her treats are soft, but her kibble is hard.
Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in