Lump / swollen lip - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lump / swollen lip

I recently thought Yuki's right side of his lip looked a little swollen and just bit monitoring it as it was ever so slight and wasn't sure if I was just being a paranoid owner, finding things wrong.

Anyways a couple nights ago I saw him have a scratch session and he actually scratched that part of his mouth, which ive never seen him do before. Then tonight checking him over and that area, it now looks more apparent and grazed (I'm guessing he's been scratching at it more and irritated the skin).

I've just read through a bunch of old posts about oral tumours and abscesses and now I'm so scared this is an early stage?! :'( he is just over 1.5 yrs old though.

Also a couple months back he developed a small bump on the tip of his chin. I'm pretty sure I read up on it or somehow thought it was to do with too much boy time but now Ive just read an old post saying it could be sarcoma and cancerous!

Here are some photos of it tonight (sorry this isn't his most flattening angle and makes him look 10x heavier than he actually is ><)

We are calling the vets in the morning but if anyone has any advice and what I should expect from the vets that would be helpful. Hedgehogs are quite new pets here so the vets aren't that knowledgable.

Also another thing to add is that he seems to drool. When he is laying on me or a blanket it will always feel slightly damp under his mouth. He also refuses to eat dried cat kibble since I first tried to introduce it a year ago. However, his recent appetite is good (mushy soaked kibble), he's constantly gaining weight (a separate new issue now), poops and activity is normal. TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.6 KB, 29 views)
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

A slightly clearer photo of the graze/broken skin (this is similar to what he has on the tip of his mouth/chin too, just smaller and more circular in shape). Could they be connected?

He doesn't seem to mind the area being touched. He let me put a mini toothbrush in his mouth to try and look but was kinda hard to tell. I've always been worried he could have underlying mouth issues since he wouldnt eat dried kibble :/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (171.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh, no! Poor guy. What did the vet say? Is he alright?

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Update

Hey, thanks for the message autumnfox

Yes he's ok thankfully ^^

We went to the vets yesterday, but typically the swelling went down when I got him out in the morning before going to our appointment and the sore healed over so didn't look anywhere near as bad as it did the two previous nights. We took him anyways but the vet agreed he didn't think it looked abnormal. We showed the vet the photos I took and he said it must have been some inflammation from either scratching at the lip or food getting caught in his teeth if it seems to come and go. If it was an abscess or a tumour it would continue to grow (not swell up and then go back down again).

He actually managed to check inside Yuki's mouth by using a cotton bud and held the plastic part between his jaw to keep his mouth opened. Said from what he could see he had all his teeth and couldn't see any inflammation or missing teeth so that's a good sign and said it must be his lip. I did see him scratch it a couple nights ago so I'm guessing with his poopy feet it made the area inflamed.

Anyways, he said since he was eating well, pooping ok and generally ok in himself that he didn't want to put him under for no reason so we should just monitor and come back sooner next time if it happens again and they'll put him under to have a better look. The vet had a medical book on hedgies and showed us photos of what tumours and abscesses can look like (looked so awful and painful) and the vet has had some experience with them so he didn't seem too concerned and I definitely think he now thinks I'm a hypochondriac lol. Oh well it's best to be safe than sorry! I still think it's a little swollen so will just keep an eye on it. I posted on a Facebook group and heard back from a girl who said her hedgie had a broken tooth that the vet only found once they put him under so there could still be something wrong, will just have to monitor it...
SquirtleSquirt and autumnfox like this.

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 06-04-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's good that the vet doesn't think it's a tumor. He seems really knowledgeable about the situation too, and super kind that he even took the time to show you what a tumor/abscess would look like! He seems to really care for his patients!

I'm glad Yuki seems to be in good health!
Yukidama's mama likes this.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you! ^^

Yeh the vet is really nice, every time we go he gets a book out to show us something (what a mite infestation would look like or a bad case of dry skin/skin issues), one time he even showed me all the recommended drugs so I saw revolution on the list and said only to use it (as he initially suggested ivermectin so my trust was tampered a little when he said that ><). Apart from that he seems knowledgable and confident in handling hedgies. We took Yuki to another vet in the past (just to compare vets) and they were so bad in comparison. They actually took Yuki into another room to examine him and he came back so frightened and in a tight ball which he never does. The vet insisted on using english even though my partner is basically fluent in Japanese and just made it really awkward ><
Old 06-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Poor Yuki ): I really hope things get better!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yukidama's mama,

Yes! The same thing happened with my girl.

Went to 2 different vets; one is closer to me than the other, but much smaller. She was so upset with the closer vet and also went into a tight ball and hissed and hissed and just wouldn't stop! I've never seen her like that!

She wanted to crawl all over the vet and his desk at the other place! Guess I know which she prefers!

Old 06-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

UPDATE: so we've been checking Yuki's mouth every night when we get him out and for the most part it hasn't looked too bad. In my opinion it doesn't look right still but my partner couldn't really tell ><

Anyways, last night when getting him out it looked much more swollen, like an under the skin spot/bulge, and some of the inside of his lip skin was hanging over very marginally. My partner agreed it did look worse last night but we don't know what the next step is, have the vet put him under and thoroughly check? The vet was like my partner and didn't think there was anything wrong when we took him two weeks ago, he thought it looked like dried food but because Yuki had been scratching at it 2 nights previous, it scabbed and then had already healed over by the time we took him in, so the lump had dry skin on it, which I guess made it harder to see it. Even at that time I could still see the lump so my confidence in this vet is lowering a little. He's kind and knowledgeable but if he hasn't seen something like this before, is he going to be competent in knowing what to do if the cause isn't clear after they put him under?? I don't want Yuki to be put under for no reason, but I do feel like it doesn't look right. Other than this lump, he's doing good. He's eating like a champ, wheeling more again since I changed the angle of his wheel and he's very cuddly . The vet didn't really want to put him under if he was still eating well. But like most of you probably know, I have to soak and mash his food up otherwise he won't eat so this is probably making it much easier for him to be able to eat. we did tell the vet this but I think in Japan most hedgehog owners soak the kibble first anyways so he probably didn't think it was a big deal.

Anyone's hedgies had a similar issue or even your opinions if not are still appreciated, thank you~! We are going to call the vet in the morning, I want to ask if I can email him these new pictures first, as I think these definitely show a lump under the skin or an abscess in the root of his gum perhaps?

Lisa

(Sorry, my device won't allow me to upload more than one photo at a time so each photo will be added separately! ><)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

The lump isn't as noticeable at this angle but it's still there and in this photo you can kind of see his inner lip skin starting to be noticeable from the swelling... (The shiny part)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.7 KB, 6 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in