Lump / swollen lip - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

This is him eating a mealie. This is why I thought he didn't have all his teeth as he looks so gummy when he chews because of the lump/swelling ><
my poor baby :,(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.2 KB, 6 views)
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hm, I've never experience this kind of issue before but I think it's not a bad idea to put him under the gas to get a more thorough look at it. A knowledgeable vet like him might know other knowledgeable vets and he may be able to consult them and possibly come to a conclusion. I'm so sorry that Yuki's going through this ): This is just my two cents though;;
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

UPDATE:

Sorry I forgot to post a post vet update. When we went, we ending up seeing a different vet at the same clinic. Since they believe his mouth is ok inside, they are thinking it is an allergic reaction to his food. I do feed him a mix of 4 kibbles, one being salmon/white fish based. Does anyone know if salmon is more likely to cause an allergic reaction?

Yuki's skin and quills are in great condition (when first bringing home over a year ago and feeding Mazuri he had such bad dry flaky skin and bald spots). The vet said he could still have an allergic reaction though, even if his skin is healthy. The other night when getting Yuki out and holding him, his lip stuck to the side of my hand which caused his lip to droop a bit and you could clearly see the inflammation. We took photos but unfortunately they don't show it that clearly ><. Then after these photos his lip went back to its normal position and hid the inflammation again, leaving just a slight lump which you can see in previous photos, so I don't think its a case or sometimes it's infllammed like the vet thinks, it's more his lip is always swollen and just hiding most of it, most of the time.

The vet didn't recommend any other clinics and also informed us that no companies in Japan currently do blood work test for hedgehogs so we can't even send off a blood sample to check if he is having an allergic reaction to something :/

Here's the new photo but it doesn't really show it too well. If anyone has experience something similar with their hedgie please let me know. Tia x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.2 KB, 6 views)

Old 07-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

I haven't heard of salmon being likely to cause an allergic reaction. Do you think you can get him under the gas to get a more thorough look at it?
Old 07-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

They said they could give him a little gas and put him under but thought it would be best to do it when it is more noticeably inflammed so they can see what the issue is. I didn't realise they could still eat before having gas (thinking like it would be for a human) but they said it would be ok as they'd only give him a small amount and be under for 15 mins or so. And because we said it seems to be more noticeable after he eats his dinner that's why they think it could be an allergic reaction to something in his food. Said I should try removing different kibbles and see if it improves and if not bring him back in but when it's inflammed. They said they could prescribe a steroid medication for a possible allergic reaction but it is strong and they didn't really advise it since he is acting normally and healthy otherwise.

I honestly think they think I'm overreacting and being a paranoid owner ><
The lump/swelling is quite marginal when not really inflammed but it's still always there (not like it on the other side) and I worry it is the early stage of something, especially when they are so prone to oral issues.

I'm currently monitoring, and starting to remove the salmon food just in case. I actually wanted to start introducing a raw diet anyways so reducing the kibble and replacing with one main one (a lower fat option as he's become a bit porky! ><). Next step is to put him under gas to have a better look if there's no improvement.

Thank you Squirtlesquirt for your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in