Not sure if I need to worry - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2018, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not sure if I need to worry

My hedgehog has not been all that interested in her meal worms (freeze dried) or even dried fruit. She is eating her usual amount of food if not in as long of sessions. She hasn't been running in her wheel but I don't feel that that is unusual because she run's around my living room for as long as she wants at night (with my supervision). To get to the crux of my issue is I'm not sure if I should be worried that she's not eating her meal worms? Could she have some kind of mouth issue? I'm pretty sure she won't let me check her teeth, so should I take her in?
Shadowstealer27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2018, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

First off it's actually a good thing she's not eating those treats. Freeze dried mealworms are not good for hedgehogs, they're hard for them to digest and can cause intestinal blockages. It's much healthier and safer to feed live, frozen or canned mealworms. Try putting them in with her food, sometimes they don't realize the worms are food at first. Dried fruit can get stuck in their teeth and are a choking hazard as well. If you look in the nutrition section you will find a list of safe hedgehog treats to try.

What is the temperature of her cage? Is there any light in her cage at night? What kind of wheel do you have?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2018, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Her cage temp is around 74-76 F the only light she gets after I go to bed is from her heat lamp and she has a bucket wheel. When I give her the dried fruit I always cut it down to the size of her food. The thing that worries me is she has eaten these things for over a year without fail (in fact had to way cut back on the fruit because she gained too much weight). So why now is she not going for her treats?

Old 01-27-2018, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think if she had mouth issues then she would have trouble eating her hard kibble food too. If you are worried though, perhaps take her to the vet and have her mouth examined.

Is she having any trouble pooping? And are they normal in size and colour? Perhaps she is constipated?

As Nikki suggested I would stop giving those treats anyways and try offer something that is more nutritional for her like live or canned insects, fresh fruit, fresh veg or cooked meat (please check the safe treat list if you are unsure which ones are safe). Even cutting dried fruit into small pieces still can get stuck in their teeth and is a choking hazard. They are also very high in sugar as you've already discovered. Dried freeze worms are zapped of any nutrition they once had. If she used to like those though, she'd probably go crazy for live ones! You can also feed your stock of live insects the fruit and veg you'd like your hog to eat, if she won't eat them herself (that's what I have to do for my boy! ^^

If you offer her the new treats and she eats them then I don't think you have anything to worry about

Re lighting in her cage. Her cage should be pitch black during the night time so the lamp could be effecting her night time activity. I originally had a red heat lamp which give off some light and I noticed a drastic difference in my boy's night time activity when I managed to change his heat lamp to a CHE one (emits no light). Also during the day she needs a lighting schedule if she doesn't already have one for a minimum of 11 hours. A lamp or ceiling light is sufficient for this. After I implemented both of these, my boy ate more and became more active at night. Hope this helps

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 01-27-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Her poop has been normal, she may still be a little in shock after being at my folks' place where even though it's her normal cage (and I'm there) things are still very different, and so she's getting use to being home again. I forget sometimes how long it takes hedgehogs to get accumulated.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

What kind of a heat lamp do you have? If it's gives off any light, even red light, it could be bothering her. Sometimes they become more sensitive to light as they get older.

It would be a good idea to have her mouth checked to see if anything is going on. They are prone to teeth and jaw issues.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Her heat lamp does give off a red light. I'm gong to try and get a look at her mouth today.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

The red light might be effecting her wheeling behaviour so you might want to look into getting a CHE instead. You might not be able to see anything wrong with her mouth just by looking, it might be a good idea to have a vet check it out. They might need to sedate her to get a good look but I think it would be worth it.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not too worried about her wheel activity she is hot and cold with it, I had to take her wheel out a few months ago for a week because she had run blisters on her front feet. I looked at her mouth didn't seen anything and she seemed more normal I will keep a close eye on her for the next few days. Thank you all for your advice.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You should still change the bulb out even if you're not worried or don't think it's affecting her activity. Some people have found it really was, even if they didn't think so, and it's not healthy for her to have that light on during the night - she really needs to have a proper lighting cycle for a natural circadian rhythm. I really wish pet stores would stop selling the lighted heat bulbs, they're not healthy for almost any animal, unfortunately. :/
nikki and Yukidama's mama like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in