Mouth Showing Red Spots - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lokiethehedgehog
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2017, 03:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mouth Showing Red Spots

Lokie is my first hedgehog and in the past 12-24 hours his mouth has had a number of red dots that I'm super worried about. I'm about to take him to his Vet tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on being able to alleviate some of his potential suffering. He's had no real change in routine in the past two days that would lead me to the source of a drastic health problem of the likes.

I attached some photos cause I'm worried and I just want to make sure he has the highest quality of care possible. I checked back through my photos of him and the bump/s is/are present only as of the last 12-24 hours. Any advice would be welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1560.jpg (54.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1558.jpg (56.8 KB, 23 views)
Lokiethehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad you're taking him to the vet! I'm not sure what could be causing the spots, there are a lot of possibilities like a skin infection, allergic reaction, insect bites, etc. Hopefully the vet will be able to diagnose & prescribe something. Let us know what they say!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

We took him this morning and he's on a round on antibiotics for two weeks. We did opt out of the culture this time, but if there is no improvement we're going to take him back and have the culture done. Other than his lil bumps the Vet said that we were doing a great job with him and noted that he was much more sociable than his previous visit, regardless of being a smidgen grumpy over being sick .

Thank you for your response. I just wanna make sure he has the highest quality of life possible!
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

To me it looks like a Staph skin infection. It seems to be kind of common in baby hedgehogs.
Lilysmommy likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

So we got back from the Vet and starting giving Lokie doses of the antibiotics twice a day and twelve hours apart. When we just woke Lokie up for his nightly play time he now has a number of red spots/blotches that are very different in aesthetics than the others he has in the previous photos attached. Is it possible that he's is having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic that the doctor prescribed? The name of the medicine on the bottle just says TMS with the dosage of .14cc.
At this point we're going back to the vet tomorrow as soon as they can get us in, but we're thinking of taking Lokie to a more specialized Hedgehog vet since he's having such an issue with something that should be more minor.

Tags
mouth, new owner, red spots, sore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in