Mouth Tumor & Cancer :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Mouth Tumor & Cancer :(

Hello,

I just got some bad news when I took Twiggy to the vet yesterday and I am hoping for some advise on our next step. Twiggy had a lump in her mouth removed in 2014 which turned out to be benign per biopsy. and she has been pretty good since then except she did gain a significant amount of weight and has decided that soft cat food ( water added to dry food ) is the only food she is interested in eating. she stopped eating crickets and meal worms and in truth i did not try hard enough to make sure she had those in her diet in the last year. Now i am kicking myself and feel pretty bad for not putting more effort into her diet. anyways so the vet looked into her mouth and noticed that not only is the lump growing back ( which i knew could happen since the last vet when it was removed told me it was a possibility ) but that she has another lump consistent with cancer on the other side of her mouth. it was white in color, it wasn't really lumpy but she said the color looked consistent with cancer. The vet did not talk to me any further on the cancer matter but seemed more concerned about her weight & diet then the cancer so she did not give me much information on that.. So i am not sure what to expect. Twiggy is 6 and a half years old, still has a love her her food and is very active and social, although all of her teeth are now gone.
I do plan to change her diet, i did order a coffee/ spice grinder that is due to come in this week, i think i may try to grind her insects in her food since now i know it may be just a mouth issue which is why she has not been eating her insects not due to her not liking them anymore. She does not like fruits or veggies so i am hoping if she allows to grind them into her cat food diet as well. and i will give her more exercise to help bring her weight down.
What are you success's and trials? what can i expect as far as the cancer is concerned? I am researching all that I can and for right now she is a happy hungry hedgie so i do not plan on euthanizing her until its time.. But this will be my first hedgie end of life care and I hope to make her as comfortable and happy as long as possible. Thank you
Twiggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't have personal experience with oral cancers, but from what I've read on here, they tend to be pretty fast-growing and you'll want to keep a very careful eye on her for quality of life. They can cause a lot of various issues due to placement (close proximity to nasal cavity, throat, eyes, brain), which can become serious quickly if the lumps grow too fast.

With that in mind, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about changing her diet at this point....as you said, you're currently looking at end-of-life care & her weight isn't going to be as much of an issue here. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try grinding up the insects to add to her food, but I wouldn't stress about adding new things to her diet right now. Just let her eat the food she likes and give her as much love as you can while you have her. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
I don't have personal experience with oral cancers, but from what I've read on here, they tend to be pretty fast-growing and you'll want to keep a very careful eye on her for quality of life. They can cause a lot of various issues due to placement (close proximity to nasal cavity, throat, eyes, brain), which can become serious quickly if the lumps grow too fast.

With that in mind, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about changing her diet at this point....as you said, you're currently looking at end-of-life care & her weight isn't going to be as much of an issue here. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try grinding up the insects to add to her food, but I wouldn't stress about adding new things to her diet right now. Just let her eat the food she likes and give her as much love as you can while you have her. I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
Thank You Lilysmommy, thats very comforting. I emailed the Dr to see if she could give me more info. so hopefully i can get some answers.
Twiggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in