To avoid mouth cancer - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default To avoid mouth cancer

Hello? all hedge lovers..

It has been five months since my hedge, Pinecone diagnosed mouth tumor. It ends up as cancer, which spread to one of his testicles and liver (possibly, brain.)

Fortunately, Pinecone never lost his appetite and I found his ailment early, he could stay longer than normal sick hedgehogs could. Now, with watching Pinecone moaning and groaning with pain, I really want to give some advice to other hedges' owners regarding mouth cancer.

1. Give hedgehogs scaling
Yes, it sounds weird, but there are vets who can give scaling to hedgehogs.
In my case, other two former vets just told me to give Pinecone apples. If hedgehogs chew apples or other similar fruit, it would be acted as toothbrush... which is indeed not enough for dental care.
I finally found the vet who strongly recommended to give scaling to Pinecone. But it was too late to give him scaling. When I tried scaling, he already got tumor in his gum. It was late October, 2016.
From that day, Pinecone have been taking medicine twice a day (twelve hours interval), and getting a shot once or twice a week.
I think early finding and his good appetite make him live longer than expected.
FYI, he was born October, 2011, which means he is five years and four months year old now.

2. Give hedgehogs creamy or liquid food once they get older.
Hedges have strong teeth. I think many owners give them cat food. I used to give him cat food, which got soften with water when Pinecone was young. Also I tried to give him healthy diet, including boiled broccoli, carrot, or watermelon, pear, apple etc.
Hedges' teeth are getting weaker once they get older. I think it is important to feed them vegetables. So, once they become 4 or 5 years old, I strongly recommend to feed them more creamy cat food.
Also, if your hedgehog is sick you should feed him creamy cat/dog food (can type).
Pinecone enjoys "intensive support" cat and dog can food. (I can buy this from vet. This is said that "vet exclusive") Mine is German product. I blend it with water (5 table spoons, I think) and keep it in refrigerator.
Once your hedge has tumor, it is better to swallow than chew food.

I am really sad to watch Pinecone hurting so much. I think all of you understand how it is hard to endure. So giving other hedge owners advice makes me feel less sad. I hope other hedges experience such pains which mine is going through.

I will write some other advice and details about clinical reports (Pinecone got checkup twice--which cost more than 300$ each time) later.

p.s. The price or cost of all medical treatment would not be helpful to you guys, since I do not live in the U.S. But I'm sure information about medicine and treatment would be helpful.

Thank you for reading a rambling explanation.
pinecone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in