Mass inside right side of jaw / oral tumor? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By nikki
  • 2 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mass inside right side of jaw / oral tumor?

Hi, I've been lurking here for all my various hedgehog needs but never got the need to post since there so much information on here. Unfortunately today, I need your help.

My little Sonic aka "Loulou" is a 6+ years old male hedgehog. I think it's pretty old after reading a lot of different threads. Our hedgehog always been a chill little beast, pretty tough little beast who love to explore our house and come say hello as soon as he notices us in the room. A lovely beast.

Except now since a few weeks we noticed he had one side of his face swollen. At first we thought it was related to his teeth since the swelling seemed to come from inside his mouth. The next time I came to see him I noticed the mass got bigger. Got kinda worried but the same evening it was almost unnoticeable. So I thought maybe some kind of abscess and maybe it'll "go away", it didn't. That's when I started reading and getting more information on the subject, fitting the pieces together to then realize it could be a tumor, which breaks when he eats, swells a lot and then "un-swell" over time when he stops eating.

The last day kind of confirmed my diagnosis. After reading that oral tumor caused bad breath I realized that for the last days I noticed he smelled pretty bad. Not like he simply got silly and rolled in his own poop but more like an infection stench.

Also last night, I noticed he had trouble breathing he made small impulsive whistling noise when breathing while eating/drinking which I guess is because of the swelling or tumor that could have got into his sinuses...

I helped him eat by breaking down and humidifying his food (cat food) so the pieces would be smaller. He seemed to have loved it since he ate for about a hour and drank a lot of water. At least he ate and drank well, but I notice he has more and more trouble eating and doing his daily routine. I try to go see him, trying not to wake him up or stress him too much, if he's out I'll help him do his thing otherwise I'll just go check to see if he breathes right...

We are currently trying our best to find time to bring him to the vet but the closest one is far from here so it's complicated. I feel really sad about this since I feel these can be the last days with my dear Loulou... I hate the thought of losing anything or anybody but I know I have to help him get through this and not let him suffer his way out of life. That'd just be cruel...

Sorry, I just felt like I had to write this down somewhere... Any suggestions, remedy, treatment, anything to ease the pain or at least minimize the swelling would be welcome.

Thanks so much for your time and pray for our little Loulou
tomshreds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with this. It does sound like your best option is going to be getting him to a vet to euthanize him. I hope you're able to quickly as it sounds like he's really going downhill. Hugs to you and your Loulou. ♥
tomshreds likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I would have a vet check his mouth. Yes it's very possible that it's a tumour but I also could be an abscess that is draining then filling again. That could also explain what you're smelling. It wouldn't hurt to check.

If it is a tumour the vet can give pain meds as well.
Lilysmommy and tomshreds like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies.

I shown him to the vet and he seemed pretty discouraged and suggested euthanasia... so that same night after having tried to give him some water and seeing him struggle and lose consciousness 3 times in a row... Thought he was dead until I touched his nose and saw he came back but for a few minutes he was totally not there. So we thought it good to abbreviate his suffering. I can't rest but think about what if we haven't done it? Would he be still alive? Is it better this way?

It's been a week and I still cry and think about him every single day. **** it's hard to lose these little things. I miss him so much.

Thanks again for your sweet thoughts everyone. Hoped I would have signed up here for better more happy reasons.
tomshreds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

You did everything right for him. A good friend once again old me this about deciding when it's time to say goodbye. "It's better to say goodbye an hour to soon than a minute to late." Meaning it's better to let them go a bit sooner rather than let them suffer for even a moment.
Lilysmommy and FinnickHog like this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in