Tooth surgery - Anesthesia concerns - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2016, 04:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tooth surgery - Anesthesia concerns

Hi all. After my hedgie recently got an eye infection in the span of two day, I went on the second to the vet and had him emxamined. Vet found a small lump below his chin on the same side of the infected eye, and immidately examined the inside of his mouth to find an infected tooth. He is on antibiotics for the tooth infection as well as for his eye and mild pain medication. She believes he will need surgery to remove the tooth and he will have to be put under anesthesia.

She said that anesthesia is always a risk for animals but even more so with small animals. If I don't do this surgery, she said the infection is likely to clear up with the antibiotics but it will come back again. He is 6 years old, and I'm worried because of his age specifically about the anesthesia/being out.

Has anyone had their hedgie go through anything that required him/her to be under anethesia? What are your opinions on this, is 6 years old concerning?
Gibbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Vets pretty much have to tell you that there is a risk. There is a risk any time you (human you) are knocked out too. How risky is it? It all depends on the individual. I've had plenty go through surgery over the years and I have had one that was slow to come out. I haven't had a six year old, but plenty that were over 4. It also depends on how long the hedgehog needs to be under. More invasive surgeries tend to require longer times, which is harder on the body.

When I am considering a surgery for a hedgehog, I look at the condition of the animal taking into consideration of how strong they are. If the animal is still strong, fighting and hasn't weakened, then I don't worry about it as much If the animal is very sick, then there is more need to worry. It sounds like you already have, but talk to your vet about how well he thinks your hedgehog will deal with surgery. How long your hedgehog will likely need to be under, etc. Ultimately, you have to be comfortable with whatever decision you make.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

My last hedgehog Spike had a cancerous lump removed (and obviously was put under anaesthesia). He was five and a half at the time. He came back quite quickly afterwards. His surgery was not overly invasive (The lump was almost entirely external) and the actual procedure only took about five minutes. The vets had stated the concern that he might not wake up afterwards, but also assured me that almost all hedgehogs did fine with it. In her large history of hedgehog surgeries, the only one that never recovered was having a tumour removed from its kidney (a very invasive surgery).

At the time he was still very active, had a full appetite, and was behaving normally. We chose to remove it for fear it would spread. Having a tooth removed is not invasive, and if your hedgehog is still strong I would say he has good odds!

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Soda Pop is 3.5 years old and was under anesthesia last Friday. Post surgery he was quite active. We removed a jaw tumor and one tooth. Unfortunately, I think I have to make a hard decision here because the lump I believe is growing back. Having a hard time determining what his quality of life is and if it's fair to him because I don't want to let go especially because I anticipated my guy living to old age.
Good luck with your baby! XO!
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2016, 04:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

You already made a thread about this? https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...h-removal.html

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in