When to let my hedgie go? :( - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeloosmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2016, 11:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy When to let my hedgie go? :(

Warning: this may be a long post.
So I just before Christmas I took on two afp hedgies from a friend of a friend, I'm a first time owner. I hadn't had them very long when I noticed a lump beginning to form on Harry (male, not sure of age as he was a rescue but at least 3 yo) mouth/snout. Took him to the vets and long story short it was confimed as cancer . This was a real blow despite not having them very long it's difficult not to fall in love with these gorgeous animals. Since then the lump has been growing, it only seems to impact on him eating, meaning I feed him only soft food now. He has recently stopped wheeling but still seems to be eating and pooping(though obviously less than before and seems to be decreasing). Sometimes he looks full of life and others he looks so sad. I obviously don't want him to suffer but I also don't want to have him put down before his time. I know hedgies hide their pain well just wondered if anyone has opinions on wether it's time or not yet. Today I went to check on him mid day and he was sleeping outside his bed :/ he is also sneezing. I'm hoping I haven't given him any kind of cold from washing him too much as his underside is matted nearly every time I go to play with him. I know I'm not the first to wrestle with this decision and I'm sure I won't be the last unfortunately . Any advice great fully received.
Harry and lilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have an old lady who has something to her heart and only eat soft food because she is not able to eat hard kibbles because her left eye have been damaged and it wansn't taken care of (she is a rescue) and it probably hurt her when she tries to crush the food. My vet told me, that as long as she still exercise and play and eat well, she is probably not to much in pain. But when it will decrease, it will be time to start think about it...
Katten likes this.
Leeloosmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply. Harry was never much of an eater but he does still eat at least a little bit every night , however I'm sure he's lost lots of weight :/ such hard decisions when their little lives are resting totally on you.
Harry and lilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah I know. I can understand. I am not there yet, but just thinking that I will need one day to make that decision, it tottaly breaks my heart. And as you said, you don't want to make them go too soon, but don't want to make them suffer either... It is such a painful decision... How much weight do you think he have lost? Does he still run on his wheel or play? Maybe you can try some differents canned food so you will find which one he likes better? Maybe you can ask you vet what he thinks?
Leeloosmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cancer, euthanasia, poorly, time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in