Blood while chewing- new hedgie owner - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Blood while chewing- new hedgie owner

So I'm a new hedgehog owner and new to this website. Two days ago my hedgehog was self anointing and I noticed his salva was a bit pink. He doesn't let me check his mouth, but I everything seemed fine . Today, while I was holding him, he was chewing on my shirt when I noticed he had stained it with a bit of blood. It wasn't too much, but it was definitely blood. I'm really worried about what it could be. I tried looking in his mouth but he didn't let me. Is this normal? He is 2 months and a week old, so I don't know if he might be teething or if I should go to the vet. I'm new to this so I'm just freaking out. Thank you.
Hedgiemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wonder if he cut his tongue on his quills? Really though, unless you can see where it's coming from yourself the only way to know what it is is a vet visit. Unless it's lots of blood, it's probably not an emergency. So you don't have to make an appointment right away, but you'd probably want to do it soonish. Maybe make an appointment after the holiday. If the bleeding goes away and nothing else seem off you can always cancel it.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Also, if he drinks from a water bottle, it is possible that he cut his tongue with it. If it is the case, you should consider to switch to a bowl instead a bottle... just in case...
Leeloosmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in