Hedgie not eating or running - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Hedgie not eating or running

So yesterday when I woke up and noticed that moki had not eaten more than 3-6 pieces of kibble. When I got him up, he seemed totally fine. I tried giving him a few pieces, he took them, then spit them out. I got him to drink a little and eat a few mealworms. Then I cleaned his cage. This morning I woke up to find the cage almost exactly as I left it. There was no poop in the litter box or on the wheel. the only signs he had been out at all where a few bits of litter knocked out of the litter box, and a couple crumbs in his food bowl. I got him out a while ago to check his mouth but he bit me. Any help is appreciated.

myky11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Double check all conditions in his cage & the room - is the temperature normal? Light schedule? Has there been anything new in his room or the house yesterday or today? Is the weather particularly stormy? Have you guys had visitors or anything going on during the day that would have disturbed him?

Next step to cover, how old is his kibble? Is it an old bag that's been open for a while? Or is it a new bag that was just bought? Sometimes older bags start to go stale & some hedgies will stop eating the food then. With newer bags, sometimes companies make small changes to the formula that can throw a picky or sensitive animal off on it.

If nothing's changed with the food, then you need to be worried about him. The usual first suspect is tooth/mouth problems, but that doesn't automatically mean it's that, it's just a good starting point. He needs to eat one way or another, as it's dangerous for hedgehogs to go more than a couple days without eating. I would suggest syringe-feeding him a little bit today, to get some food in his tummy, then give him numerous options tonight - offer some dry kibble, some soaked or crushed kibble, and maybe some canned food and/or baby food. See if he goes for one of the softer options that are easier to eat. That can help point to a mouth/tooth issue too. Make a vet appointment so you can get him in to be checked out.

Until he's eating normally on his own again, you'll need to keep syringe-feeding him to make sure he gets enough food. There's a sticky in the Health FAQs on syringe-feeding if you're not sure how to go about it (I'm sorry, I'm rushing out in a minute or I'd link it!).

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

The temperature is fine, light schedule is normal, there haven't been any visitors or new things.... but I did buy a brand new bag of food recently and the first night I gave it to him was the first night he stopped eating. What do I do about that though?

myky11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Keep syringe-feeding him to get something into him, and if he's dead set on not eating the new food, then try getting another food or two to offer & see if he's willing to eat them instead. You'll probably see some green poop, but it's better than having him not eating at all on his own.

And it'd be a good idea, once you have him eating at least one good quality food again, to find a second (and third or more if you want) food that he likes to mix in with the first one. Situations like this is one of the reasons it's recommended to feed hedgehogs a mix of at least two different brands. Food strikes are no fun for anyone!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in