Luna's mouth/tooth problem. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Luna's mouth/tooth problem.

hi Iam experiencing the same problem with my hedgie Luna, she was to the vets on Tuesday and we noticed she is missing a tooth and her gums were quite swollen on the same side so he advised antibiotics for 14 days and than re check, but it has been 5 days on antibiotics and noticed face is swllen on this side now still no improvements on her activity and eating is a bare minimum please help!!! don't know if I posted this in the right spot as Iam knew sure hope I can get some expert advice for Luna
ruth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Ruth, You should start a new thread for your hedgehog. However, to answer your question, you need to go back to the veterinarian for re-examination, or at least call and talk to the veterinarian to let him know that your hedgehog is not doing any better and that there has been no improvement. I suspect your veterinarian will want to look at Luna again though. If it is a tooth abscess she will need the offending tooth or teeth removed. However, prepare yourself for it to not be an abscess at all. Oral cancer is very common in our little ones.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks Kalandra I don't know how to start a thread ?? I am new to this sry, I did take Luna back to the vet and he seems to think that the swelling has gone down, I am still worried she is not barely eating still and she doesn't seem to run much at night, I have tried cooking her eggs and chicken wich she just loves but she only had a few licks and was done Im going to try some apple/banana babyfood hope this is okay for her is it okay if it has oatmeal as a ingredient?

Old 04-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I split the above postings into its own thread.

Running is likely low as she's not feeling very well or is a little weak from not eating enough. Also check her cage's temperature. Hedgehogs that are sick often will need a boost in temperature to help them fight.

I'd suggest moistening her kibble to see if that will feel better on her mouth. Or getting some pate style canned cat food. Or get a couple of cans of Hills a/d from your veterinarian's office. Its a prescription only canned food which is easily syringe fed, and calorie packed. I use it a lot with sick hedgehogs.

Another thought, is to ask your vet about possibly adding a pain medication in case her mouth is hurting her. Metacam is a commonly prescribed pain medication, plus it also has the added benefit of being anti-inflammatory.

Snuffle!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I will ask about the pain meds, the vet gave me some carnivore care to try and feed her and I do have a can of the a/d we rescued her from a owner that was not at all good for her care and she is still eating the food that they gave her wich is purina kitten chow wich I am sure is junk and need to get her off of, I tried the brand Vita Prima hedgehog formula and wont even try this, I tried making my own chicken broth and putting on her kibble, still no luck she weighed 442g on Tuesday and now is 425 so she has lost weight , I threw her meal worms away last week because she kept throwing them up wich she never did before, I am hoping it is just from all the stuff that is going on with her she is just 1 yr and 3 months old
Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

also how would I syringe feed her? just water it down more? I have a extra syringe from her antibiotic I could give that a try
Old 04-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

There is a sticky somewhere (I'm sure someone will post it for me ) on the forum for syringe feeding. Basically you just need to add a few drops of water to the food to make it liquidy enough to syringe easily. How to hold her will depend on what she is comfortable with.

Either hills a/d or carnivore care will be fine. I've used both. Some hedgehogs will take CC fine, others prefer the Hills. You can also try adding a little warmed food to a shallow dish for her and leave it in her cage. Sometimes when the food is warmed slightly it will smell more enticing.

Snuffle!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi, Kalandra is giving you the best advice, but I just wanted to add please don't switch your girl to any kind of hedgehog food, they are not good for hedgehogs. You will need to eventually switch her to a high quality cat food once she's feeling better.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Here's the sticky. https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

thanks so much I will not change her food to hedgie food, what are some of the good cat foods, my cat eats royal canin hypoallergenic, first few ingrediants, pea, duck, pea protein, protein 30%, fat 11% is the fat kinda high or would this be okay if she will eat it, im going to give the syringe feeding a shot she didn't eat a thing again last night im getting worried about her, thanks for all your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in