Sick Hedgie! Please help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By DesireeM81
  • 1 Post By Buttons
  • 3 Post By Sirius
  • 2 Post By Sirius

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Sick Hedgie! Please help!

My boyfriend got a hedgehog (hedgie is 2 months old) but he's insanely incompetent so I've been trying to help him with it. We live in Canada and the weather here is freezing. Two days ago (3/3/15) we had a power outage and there was obviously no heat getting to my boyfriends house. I asked my bf how his hedgie was doing and he said he was "okay" and I pushed my bf later asking more and he said "he was completely okay but shaking a little". After I heard that I rushed over to his house last night (3/4/15) and stayed up all night making sure his little hedgie was warm with my body heat. So basically he went the entire day I'm sure without getting proper care for a hibernation attempt and I'm honestly unsure what could have transpired the entire time while I wasn't there in terms of what my bf tried with him. So right now hedgie won't move he stays directly still and he slowly blinks. If he moves he wobbles and his right hind back leg is what makes him really slow. He won't eat any food and he only laps up water if I hold him up a little above some water. I went to the vet and I've gotten a syringe and critical care food but he won't eat any of it like he won't open his mouth for me at all like he used to when I used to give him food through a syringe. I've tried Ensure he doesn't lap any of that up. I've tried a little of pedialyte too. The only thing he seems to drink a little is some sugar and salt water solution but barely. The vet also gave me anti inflammatories and antibiotics but the hedgie isn't responding to the syringe and keeping his mouth clamped shut. I'm really worried about him and he has a warm environment now with a doggie warmer on the bottom of his cage but his feet still feel cool so I've been keeping him in my shirt. I honestly don't know where to go further from here or what I could get him to try and it's extremely concerning. The vet said he may have WHS but maybe not. Could this be because of the lack of help with the hibernation attempt? Does anyone else know how to get your hedgie's mouth open when it's clamped shut like that? He used to open it a bit when I would put the nozzle near the side of his mouth but now it won't open at all and he won't lick anything at all. Also his breathing is much faster than usual and heavier. If you could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

The best thing for syringe feeding is to be as gentle as possible but be firm. He will open his mouth with a tiny bit of pressure. Try squeezing a small amount into his lip, by his teeth and see if he will lick it up. You can also use a dropper to drop the meds and food on his nose to see if he will lick them up. (Warning: do this carefully and as a last ditch effort, he could inhale the food and meds which is just as dangerous)

He needs to eat and he needs to eat now. Make the food as runny as possible right now. Make it sweet with honey if you need too to try and get him to eat. Try every kind of baby food you can think of. I got my guy to eat with pears and carrots. Try bugs, mealworms, crickets, wax worms, a hedgie favorite. You can buy some wet cat food or dog food and try syringing that as well. He needs to eat at least 16ml a day for a baby and 24 ml a day for an adult.

After you get him to eat, he needs heat as well. Does your boyfriend have a heat set up? He needs to be kept as a slightly warmer than normal temperature. If he is normally at 75, bump it up to 78.

It is a very critical time right now. I know you are doing the best and I'm not meaning to scare you. Just try as much as possible.

My littly guy was very sick a while ago and he wouldn't eat or take his meds or anything. I spent a good afternoon crying. He did bounce back and is healthy again.

Keep us updated, keep that little guy warm and you are in my thoughts.
Lilysmommy, Buttons and Sirius like this.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Boyfriends house is not a good place for your heddgie long-term unless CHE or proper heat is in place! He needs to learn and understand the needs of hedgehogs before leaving him in his care.
Sirius likes this.
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you so much for this I feel slightly relieved and I'll try to feed him more. I am periodically taking him to the Ensure which he takes like 5 licks and he gets annoyed and pulls his head away. Then I let him rest a bit so it's not too stressful and then repeat after a little while.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah I'm now taking care of his hedgehog he clearly isn't responsible at all. I'm incredibly pissed at him but now I'm just focusing all my energy on making sure he;s okay.
Katten, DesireeM81 and Buttons like this.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeM81 View Post
The best thing for syringe feeding is to be as gentle as possible but be firm. He will open his mouth with a tiny bit of pressure. Try squeezing a small amount into his lip, by his teeth and see if he will lick it up. You can also use a dropper to drop the meds and food on his nose to see if he will lick them up. (Warning: do this carefully and as a last ditch effort, he could inhale the food and meds which is just as dangerous)

He needs to eat and he needs to eat now. Make the food as runny as possible right now. Make it sweet with honey if you need too to try and get him to eat. Try every kind of baby food you can think of. I got my guy to eat with pears and carrots. Try bugs, mealworms, crickets, wax worms, a hedgie favorite. You can buy some wet cat food or dog food and try syringing that as well. He needs to eat at least 16ml a day for a baby and 24 ml a day for an adult.

After you get him to eat, he needs heat as well. Does your boyfriend have a heat set up? He needs to be kept as a slightly warmer than normal temperature. If he is normally at 75, bump it up to 78.

It is a very critical time right now. I know you are doing the best and I'm not meaning to scare you. Just try as much as possible.

My littly guy was very sick a while ago and he wouldn't eat or take his meds or anything. I spent a good afternoon crying. He did bounce back and is healthy again.

Keep us updated, keep that little guy warm and you are in my thoughts.
I know it's been a hot minute since I wrote back. But thank you SO much Desiree. I was beyond scared for him and I seriously thought he would die. If it wasn't for your help my faith wouldn't have been restored and I would have been left a mess. Anyways without the baby food I don't know how I would have gotten him to get better. He actually really loved the pears. If I could 1up everything you write and your profile, I totally would. But thank you SO SO SO much. And little Sirius thanks you too. I'm actually taking care of him and he's now fully mine so now we won't have these scares anymore. But again. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Lilysmommy and Sunshine0460 like this.

Tags
hiberation, lethargic, unresponsive, whs, won't open mouth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in