Hedgehog Central banner

hibernation attempt or REALLY grumpy?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Aprinceton 
#1 ·
When I went to get my hedgehog Pip tonight, I noticed the spot she was in felt a little colder than usual. She was all balled up and didn't come out after I picked her up, so I was worried that she was too cold and warmed her up by holding her on a heating pad for half an hour. After a while she started moving a little and poked her nose out a tiny bit, but still wouldn't uncurl. I kept her on the heating pad and with me for another half hour, then put her back in her cage. As soon as she was back in, she uncurled and ran over to her food dish.
So was she just REALLY grumpy, or was she trying to hibernate? She was fine as soon as she was back in the cage.
Also, she has been quilling so she is a little extra grumpy.
(And I now have a heating pad under the section of the cage that gets a little cold, so the shavings will warm up and she can be nice and cozy if she decides to sleep there again!)

#5 ·
She is fine today and her wheel was used last night. I'm wondering if she was just really grumpy and uncomfortable from quilling.
Either way, I have a heating pad under the cold corner now to warm the shavings! Now it's as warm and cozy as the rest of the cage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.