First attempt? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First attempt?

Hi everyone. So please tell me if you think Ellie tried to hibernate.

Every night, she eats and wheels. All night. We hear her, she's in our room, we know. Anyway, tonight we had to put her into our open concept living room/kitchen/everything else room because we were only getting 5-6 hours of sleep and had a 6 hour car drive that we were embarking on at 2 AM. My boyfriends utterly exhausted, and asked if we can put her in there so he can sleep well in lieu of the car ride. Of course I said yes. (We set her cage up in here one night she was just a party animal, and she was fine all night. I checked on her.)

Note we have a CHE, and the back wall and side walls of her cage are well insulated. The apartment is kept at 73 F, but it feels a little cooler (we keep her in our room normally bc it's cooler.)

I checked on her several times and she never got up! Finally, 11:15, at this point I am VERY nervous. I bribe her to come out from hiding under her snuggle sack with plain cooked chicken breast. She eats it in an INSTANT, so I bring her to the kitchen to get more. Her belly feels a little cool. I give her more chicken, which she eats in an instant. I bring her back to her cage, she checks out her cage for a minute, then goes back to sleeping. BUT, she went somewhere I have NEVER seen her go to sleep-- UNDER the tray under her CSW. At this point I am SUPER nervous.

I got a hand warmer, wrapped it in paper towel, and I have that on my lap. Then I have her in a snuggle sack (which she practically refused to go in, I had to basically push/roll her). Then on top of that, I have two blankies. Hopefully she's super warm.

I am so nervous because I was supposed to travel tomorrow! In like 2 1/2 hours actually. I can't imagine what else this would be, if NOT a hibernation attempt, but I just wanted to hear expert opinions. She has never done anything like this before. She's an avid wheeler, appetite almost always great, normal poops, etc.
ashleyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

What temperature is her cage at? I know the room is kept at 73, which is on the lower range of ok, but I'm assuming her cage is warmer, right? I have a complete headache right now, so thoughts aren't moving. But lets start there. I'm not sure if she's just upset because you moved her or what. How is she otherwise? Is she responsive? Does she huff and puff in situations where she normally would?
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not sure, her digital thermometer reader is in the room my boyfriends asleep in (thank you so much for replying while you're fried btw)

And meh... At first no, not too much. She huffed a little, but it was almost like... Delayed. NOW after 30 mins of snuggling with a LOT of warmth, she's very active and extremely jumpy and huffy... More than usual.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure if it's okay to put her back in her cage.. Thoughts? I want her to run and eat and do her normal activity. I'm so scared
Old 11-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

The CHE is up and running? I would put her back. She is going to sleep because she is nervous and worried. If I'm remembering correctly, she would not have eaten if she was trying to hibernate. Are there more lights on now? That thermometer is necessary if you are this worried. Try bumping up the thermostat for the night as well.

Also when hedgehogs are scared they do weird things. Penny once laid in her food bowl (something she had never done) after a rather stressful nail clipping.

Last edited by DesireeM81; 11-27-2014 at 12:19 AM.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Okay I have her back in the sack in the cage, with a hand warmer secured in paper towel that's taped around it many times. the thermostat itself is cranked to 85 (which is what I cranked it to when I was panicing) and I checked her thermometer in my room just now and it said it's only 75. Makes me wonder how chilly it was when the thermostat itself was at 75!

Normally, her cage does fluctuate quite a bit, but stays between 74-77 for the most part.

Edit: I forgot to mention, at one point but I can't remember, when I was checking on her periodically, I noticed the bulb got a little loose. The thermostat claimed it was on, but it was super cool. I screwed it tighter and then it kicked on. I can't remember how long she was out here without it!

Last edited by ashleyyy; 11-27-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good luck. Try and get some rest too. It's been a long day for both of you.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you!! I shall try!
Old 11-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

For anyone who is wondering-- I got just about 1 hour of sleep. Ellie is awake, doesn't look like she has touched any food or water, but she has used the potty in her wheel area. She's now just sitting in her tray (uncommon) sitting in her urination, scared as can be and we aren't even doing anything to her unfortunately, we need to travel for thanksgiving, so we are getting ready to leave now. I'm going to tell my boyfriend to keep a very close eye on her (she will be staying at his place, and I'll be at mine.. 2 hours away!)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I hope everything went okay. Please keep us updated. It sounds like she was picking up on your nervousness as well as the changes around the house getting ready. Hopefully she will comfortable once she gets in her cage. There is no way for you to keep her with you huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in