Hibernation attempt?? HELP!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2014, 03:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation attempt?? HELP!!!

Last night I'm pretty sure Willow had a hibernation attempt. Around 1-2am I found her laying in a ball by her wheel which I found super unusual because Willow is the type that has to sleep UNDER something, like she'll normally sleep in her igloo, but the first night I got her I had a blanket in her cage instead of shavings (because we had a 7 hour drive home and I snuck her into a hotel, oops) and when I woke up she was under it, and I constantly try to put her snuggle sack in her cage without her igloo bc her snuggle sack is large because I couldn't find a smaller one, and she'll sleep under it instead of in it.

Anyways, So I tried putting my hand by her and usually she'll at least flench but she didn't move, and at the point I immediately thought she was dead, so i scooped her up in her igloo and gently shook (don't know if i spelled that correctly, sorry!) it and saw her lil nose start to move which caused me to sigh in relief. I was still very confused what was going on because she wouldn't uncurl from her ball? Anyways basically i ended up putting her under my shirt on my boobs and she uncurled and was fine, but I am still VERY worried. I was up with her until about 7am last night/this morning, and I just feel like a horrible mommy. like what if I wouldn't of found her etc? I have like 5 blankets laying on half of her cage (so she has fresh air on the other side) and I don't have a heating pad for her, and I just can't sleep because I'm very anxious. Willow is my first hedgehog, and having her attempt to hibernate was my biggest fear and I've only had her for a month. So this just make my anxiety go nuts, and I don't know what to do. Has anybody else gone through this? how did you calm yourself down? HELP!!!
kxitee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have any heating source?
Kiwithehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

You will need to turn her temperature up a couple of degrees F. If she's attempting hibernation, she isn't warm enough.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
anxiety, help me, hibernation, scared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in