Car sick and hibernation - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Car sick and hibernation

Hi,

My hedgehog is three months old and last night we brought her from my house to my boyfriend's house. She was really wrapped up and the heating was on and it was at night so she was peeping out to have a look around. But then she got sick, I had a look at it and it just looked like her food and nothing unusual so I put it down to the bad roads.

When we got there she seemed completely fine, drank a load of water and went in her wheel. I kept an eye on her poop, all normal.

Today she was lethargic and not getting up for food, hissing. I picked her up and she felt cold so popped her under my top until I could heat up blankets and pads. She's come around and had some food but how do I know she's properly okay?

Thanks from a first time owner!
muirzy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

What's the temperature in her cage? Do you have a thermometer? And do you have a heating set up? You did exactly what you should to get her out of the attempt, so good job! Now that she's warmed up, though, you need to keep an eye on her for the next week or two, and make sure the temperature is warm enough, or possibly bumped up another degree or two. Make sure she's also getting 12-14 hours of light during the day time, and that there's no drafts near her cage that could have caused it.

Another thing to keep an eye out for in the next couple of weeks is any signs of sneezing, sniffling more than usual, a runny nose, or raspy breathing. Those are all signs of a URI, which can be caused by hibernation attempts sometimes. If you see anything like that, she needs to go in to the vet ASAP, as URIs turn into pneumonia without antibiotics.
Nancy and gracefulchaos01 like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yup I've a thermometer attached to her cage and it was about 19/20 degrees Celsius. I didn't realise there was no heat on in the house. Usually my place would always have the heat on at some stage during the day so maybe it was too cold too suddenly.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That's definitely too cold. The minimum recommended temperature is 73*F, about 22.7*C. Can you change the house temperature & keep her in the warmest room of the house until you can get a heating set up? It sounds like you need one ASAP since you can't depend on the house heating and she's already had one hibernation attempt.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do have a heating pad for her but I didn't use it at my house since it was about 25 degrees all the time. It's reading 22 now and that's before a heat pad is going to be popped in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in