Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hibernation (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Car sick and hibernation (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79266)

muirzy22 10-02-2014 02:20 PM

Car sick and hibernation

Hi,

My hedgehog is three months old and last night we brought her from my house to my boyfriend's house. She was really wrapped up and the heating was on and it was at night so she was peeping out to have a look around. But then she got sick, I had a look at it and it just looked like her food and nothing unusual so I put it down to the bad roads.

When we got there she seemed completely fine, drank a load of water and went in her wheel. I kept an eye on her poop, all normal.

Today she was lethargic and not getting up for food, hissing. I picked her up and she felt cold so popped her under my top until I could heat up blankets and pads. She's come around and had some food but how do I know she's properly okay?

Thanks from a first time owner!

Lilysmommy 10-02-2014 03:14 PM

49 Attachment(s)
What's the temperature in her cage? Do you have a thermometer? And do you have a heating set up? You did exactly what you should to get her out of the attempt, so good job! :) Now that she's warmed up, though, you need to keep an eye on her for the next week or two, and make sure the temperature is warm enough, or possibly bumped up another degree or two. Make sure she's also getting 12-14 hours of light during the day time, and that there's no drafts near her cage that could have caused it.

Another thing to keep an eye out for in the next couple of weeks is any signs of sneezing, sniffling more than usual, a runny nose, or raspy breathing. Those are all signs of a URI, which can be caused by hibernation attempts sometimes. If you see anything like that, she needs to go in to the vet ASAP, as URIs turn into pneumonia without antibiotics.

muirzy22 10-02-2014 04:07 PM

Yup I've a thermometer attached to her cage and it was about 19/20 degrees Celsius. I didn't realise there was no heat on in the house. Usually my place would always have the heat on at some stage during the day so maybe it was too cold too suddenly.

Lilysmommy 10-02-2014 04:21 PM

49 Attachment(s)
That's definitely too cold. The minimum recommended temperature is 73*F, about 22.7*C. Can you change the house temperature & keep her in the warmest room of the house until you can get a heating set up? It sounds like you need one ASAP since you can't depend on the house heating and she's already had one hibernation attempt.

muirzy22 10-02-2014 04:33 PM

I do have a heating pad for her but I didn't use it at my house since it was about 25 degrees all the time. It's reading 22 now and that's before a heat pad is going to be popped in.